Introduction: Watermelon Slushies (vegan)
These vegan slushies are a very delicious and healthy alternative to the slushies you would buy in stores. The red color comes from watermelon, not artificial dyes and there are only four ingredients to this recipe.
Let's get started!
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- sweetener to taste
- 3/4 cups water
- 3 cups of watermelon, diced, no rind or seed
- an ice cream machine
Step 2: Blend Watermelon
1. Add the diced, seedless, and rind-less watermelon chunks into a blender along with the water, lime juice, and sweetener to taste. Blend until everything is smooth and liquefied.
Step 3: Ice Cream Machine
Ice Cream Machine
1. Add watermelon mixture to your ice cream maker and follow your machine's instructions. It should take approximately 20 minutes to start seeing small chunks of watermelon ice. After about 30 minutes the whole mixture should be a slushie-like consistency like in the third photo.
2. Serve immediately or pour into an airtight container in the freezer to firm up before serving. I kept mine in the freezer for about 3 and a half hours before I ate it.
Step 4: Sherbert?!
When I made this recipe I had initially thought that I would make sorbet! However after making it I liked the fluffy slushie texture more than the sorbet texture. However if you want to make a watermelon sorbet then use the exact same steps as from making slushies and just keep the mixture in the freezer longer, about 6 hours. The sorbet tastes the same as the slushie but has a different texture. Both are delicious, though!
Step 5: Enjoy!
1. Pour into a pretty cup and eat.
2. You can keep this in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. If after a few days it's too hard and you can't pour it, let the mixture melt completely and then run it through your ice cream machine until it gets a slushie texture again.
If you enjoyed this Instructable please take a second out of your day to vote for me in the Frozen Treats Contest! It would mean the world to me! Internet hug! -thederpyninja