How to make your very own waterproof dryer lint fire-starter, for free.
Using only household items you can make a 1 oz waterproof fire-starter that burns for 15 minutes. It's perfect for camping, backpacking, or even your backyard fire pit. No need to buy fancy fire starter logs, here you'll need to gather a few household items that would have otherwise been thrown in trash.
Step 1: Step 1 - Gather Materials
First, gather a few materials from around the house.
1. Dryer lint
2. An empty egg carton
3. Old Candle Stubs (or in my case, a box of canning wax - $3*)
4. Dental floss
6. New Belgium beer (not required, but hey, that's how it happened)
*Available at your local hardware store
Step 2: Step 2 - Cut the Wax
Whether using old candle stubs or bars of canning wax, cut them into small strips/chunks so they can be more easily melted.
Step 3: Step 3 - Fill Egg Carton with Dryer Lint
Take your dryer lint and fill each compartment. Stuff a fair amount into each as it will prolong burning time.
Step 4: Step 4 - Cut and Fold Compartment
Using the scissors, cut each compartment and fold the ends of each on top of each other.
Step 5: Step 5 - Tie Each Compartment with Dental Floss
Using dental floss (or any disposable string), tie each fire-starter allowing for a few inches of additional length.
Step 6: Step 6 - Melt Wax
Drop your wax pieces into a disposable glass jar (or empty aluminum can) and place it into a boiling pot of water. Keep the water level low enough so the jar or can doesn't tip over. Once the water boils, you should have fully melted wax in a few minutes.
Step 7: Step 7 - Lower Fire-Starters into Jar or Can
Turning off your burner, you can now lower the fire-starters into the jar or can of melted wax using the length of dental floss. Make sure the fire-starters are fully submerged until bubbles stop rising to the surface. Note - It may help to use an additional utensil to push them below the wax line.
Step 8: Step 8 - Let Fire-Starters Dry
Drizzle any remaining wax onto the fire-starters. This will help ensure waterproofing. Let the fire-starters fully dry. I placed them on a paper towel to prevent a messy cleanup. After about an hour or two, they should be rock solid.