Introduction: Waxing Wine Bottles
An amateur attempt at waxing the bottles of my homemade wine.
Step 1: Getting Started
After 2 years of making homemade wine I'm finally ready to start giving away bottles to friends and family. In order to dress up the bottles I decided to coat the bottle tops in wax. This instructable will follow me on the process of doing this.
First step is to gather the materials.
1. Bottle seal wax
-LD Carlson burgundy
purchased at my local home
2. Wide mouth pint glass jar
3. Small pot
4. Something to stir the wax with
-I used a colored pencil
5. Butter knife
6. Razor blade
7. Tea light candle
8. Wax stamp
Step 2: Melting the Wax
1. Fill the jar 3/4 full of the wax
beads. When dipping the bottle it
will displace wax. Be sure not to
overfill. You can always add more.
2. Place jar in center the of the pot.
3. Add water to the pot. I attempted to match the water level in the pot to the
level of the wax in the jar. Make sure
the jar isn't floating.
4. Place on stoveburner at a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the wax is melted. This may take over an hour.
Step 3: Pre Waxing Corks
Just dipping bottles in hot wax may create a void that may hold moisture and allow things to grow. In this step we'll add a small amount of wax to the top of the bottles to prevent this.
1. Using butter knife, scoop a small
amount of wax onto the top of the
2. Allow wax to dry for a minute.
3. Using the razor blade, cut the
excess wax around the top of the
Step 4: Waxing the Bottle
1. Dip the wine bottle into the wax until
no cork is visible.
2. When removing the bottle from the
wax, tilt the bottle sideways and
3. When the wax looks smooth dip the waxed portion of the bottle in a cool bowl of water.
We now have waxed bottles!
Step 5: Stamping the Wax
I decided to decorate my wax a bit with a wax stamp. Practice makes perfect in this step and I still need a lot of practice.
1. Using the tea light candle, warm the
wax on the top of the bottle.
2. Quickly and steadily press the stamp onto the wax. Leaving it there for a minimum of 30 seconds. This will allow the wax to harden and prevent smearing the wax.
I hope this instructable has helped. Enjoy your wine!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.