I have intention to make a diorama of a weapon shop (like some in role playing games) so these are my first weapons made from nail, scrap metal and wood, I may also do some leather working... Hope you enjoy it.
Material required: wood, nail, brass, scrap metal...
Tools: files, riffler files, jeweler's saw, drill press, sand-paper... You can see all at the end of my post.
For "How-to-make" : i will update some general ways how to make them all by video or pictures, I can not repeat the same process for every item that I made.
This project will take a long time to complete, please follow my post with patience. Comments and questions are always welcomed. Thank you !
Step 1: Iron Sword Level 1
How to make it :
- Heat the nail up then hammer it to 2.5 mm thickness.
- Use files to shape it to form of a sword's blade. You can also use some riffler files to make the fuller.
- Polish the blade with 1000 grit sand-paper
- The cross guard is made from brass by drilling 2 holes (2 mm diameters) then cut the excess with jeweler's saw as show to fit to the blade.
- The grip was made by rolling some black threads and fix them with super glue.
Step 2: Double Bit Axe - Lv 1
English is not my language so please forgive my error in use of the words and feel free to ask if you need more information.
For this item, all you need is... a piece of metal :). I used some scraps about 4mm thickness and 3 cm length.
- Drill 3 holes (2mm diameters), use jeweler's saw to cut the excess to make the axe-eye.
- Cut sand-paper to strip to smooth the inside (as picture 5)
- Use ball-peen hammer to flatten the piece and file it to an axe head shape.
- Heat treat the axe head and deep it in oil to have a black patina outside. Use 1000 grit sand-paper to shine the bit.
- Make the wooden handle, use bee-wax to protect and give it a shiny look.
Step 3: Small Hand-protected Shield for Thief
Step 4: Bronze Shield
Step 5: Throwing Knives for Assassin - Level 1 (from Bicycle Spoke)
Material: - Bicycle spoke, Leather, brass string.
Step 6: Great Sword
Step 7: Viking's Shield
Step 8: Mage's Staff
Step 9: Some More Made With Nail, Brass and Wood
With the same process, you can make another weapons (hammer - nail with a small block of wood, great sword, and katana...) depend on your imagination.
Wooden hammer: As you can see in the picture, I have some brass sheets, I cut 2 strips 2mm width and roll them around the wooden block. You need to fix the end of each strip first with 1mm diameter nail (cut a half), use tiny hammer to force these strips fix to the block's shape. Use hand drill to make some 1mm diameter holes in these strip for the nails go through.
The end of the hammer is made by adding a brass pipe, soldering it to the nail and file it to a round shape.
Hope you enjoy it and have a nice day !
Step 10: Hand Tools That I Use for This Project.
1. Scriber: use to trace line in metal.
2. Calipers: to mesure the thickness.
3. Tin cutters: to cut metal sheet.
4. rail anvil.
5. Dividers: to trace parallel line, to mesure, to draw and more...
6. Sand-paper: from 400 to 1000 grit.
7. Drill: pump drill, small hand drill, drill press is an advance.
10. Hammer: ball-peen hammer is the best :D
11. Jeweler's saw.