Follow @TheRoomba on Twitter to see what mine is doing!
Step 1: Needed Parts and Tools
- 1x - Small signal, low power PNP transistor (I used a 2N2907A (may also be known as NTE159))
- 1x - 8-Pin mini DIN male connector
- 1x - 7805 5V voltage regulator
- 1x - Solderless breadboard
- 1x - Arduino board
- 1x - Sparkfun WiFly Arduino shield
- Row of five or more male pin headers
- A short piece of Cat5 cable or similar wire (Cat5 is 24 AWG)
- And last but certainly not least, a Roomba*
- Soldering iron
- Small scissors
- Third hand
- Hot glue gun
- For the purpose of this Instructable, I am going to be assuming that you have a basic knowledge of basic electronics, the Arduino and the Arduino's programming language.
*I have only tested this with the 500 Series. However, it should work with newer models, but I am not sure about older models.