Introduction: Weber Kettle BBQ Turkey.
Weber Kettle BBQ Turkey.
You will never cook one in the oven again!
1. Start with a clean kettle to insure that all vent holes are open for airflow.
2. Place a ½ size steam table aluminum pan in the center of the grill. Point the long side of the pan toward the front or single leg of the kettle.
3. Add charcoal to the both sides of the kettle pot. Stack the briquettes from the edge of the aluminum pan to the side and up to the height of the top grill rack.
1. Replace the top grate.
2. Light the charcoal and wait until briquettes are white ash color.
1. While coals are heating prepare the turkey. (This step can also be done a day ahead of time too)
2. Use the brand of your choice. I have had great success over the years with HoneySuckle White fresh birds.
3. I also never cook birds bigger than 15 lbs using this method. If more is needed I cook 2 separate birds. Cooking time is only 1 hr 45 min. to 2 hr max. to bring the turkey up to 160 degrees.
4. Unwrap bird, remove all extra parts, giblets, and neck. Undo the plastic piece that holds the legs down and discard.
1. After cleaning and washing, I start with the breast side down and season the bottom side first.
1. First spray well with cooking spray.
2. Add the seasonings.
3. Then lightly coat with coating spray over the top of seasonings.
1. Flip bird over onto its back.
2. Repeat the seasoning process on the breast , wings, and drumsticks.
1. Cut 2 pieces of aluminum foil approx. 12 X 12 inches.
2. Coat one side of each with cooking spray.
3. Wrap the coated side around each of the wings. This prevents burning, while hanging over the coals.
1. Once coals have turned to that ash white color.
2. Place turkey in the center of the grill over the aluminum pan.
(In the picture I also added 2 single turkey thighs to the grill. One in front and one behind the centered turkey, but not over the coals.
3. Cover the kettle with the vent hole open full.
4. Piont the vent hole toward the single front leg.
5. Let cook for 1 hr 45 min. without opening cover.
1. After the 1 hr 45 min. open cover and take at least 2 different temperature readings.
2. When the turkey is at least 160 degrees pull from the grill and tent it with foil.
3. Let it rest and fishing cooking for approx 20 minutes. Temperature at that time should be 165 degrees.
4. Turkey skin may look dark and burnt, but trust me it is not. The meat will be the most flavorful and moist you have ever eaten.
5. Carve and enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.