This is the first project I welded at TechShop (www.techshop.ws) which truly has a superb welding setup as you'll see in some of the pics.
- 14 gauge mild steel (purchased as salvage w/ lots of aging and character)
- Plasma cutter (or grinder with cutoff wheel)
- MIG welder
- 4-1/2" grinder with sanding disc
- PPE (leather gloves, welding helmet, safety glasses, jeans and long sleeves)
Step 1: Design & Layout
- 4 pieces: 4-3/8" x 18" (sides)
- 4 pieces: 5-3/8" x 18" (front & back)
- 2 pieces: 4-3/8" x 5-3/8" (bottom)
Step 2: Cutting & Preparation for Welding
**IMPORTANT NOTE: Plasma cutters are awesome. If you've never used one before then I highly recommend finding a friend, business, or co-op that will let you experience theirs. You'll never look at metal the same once you realize you can cut through it like a hot knife through butter using this invaluable tool.