In this tutorial, you will learn what is Pepakura and how to use it.
This is short 6 step, comprehensive introduction into a world of paper models ;)
- work with paper,
- what type of paper (how hard / heavy),
- and what tools you need to start
Updated: 2014/12/17 ... 13 hours of work so far :)
Step 1: Paper
You will need a HARD, HEAVY, SOLID, THICK paper !
Ignore office paper which is soft, too thin, easy to bend = useless.
What you need is CARDSTOCK !
Card stock = paper with weights from 50 lb to 110 lb (about 135 to 300 g/m²).
I use 200 g/m² paper and I find it best combination to print on and work within smaller details.
Size / format of paper:
Step 2: "Mountain" vs. "Valley" fold
First time a lot of people may have a problem how to actually fold the paper:
- what are all the different lines (solid, dash, dash-dot-dash) ?
- what direction should you fold ?
- imagine a letter ... A ... you can "touch the top" edge of the paper
- basically fold the paper on its edge: DOWN
- "dash dash dash"
- _ _ _ _ _
- imagine a letter ... V ... in where you can "put your finger inside" the shape
- basically fold the paper on its edge: UP
- "dash DOT dash DOT dash"
- _ . _ . _ . _
- this is the line where you cut your shape out !