I wanted to build this without welding but still have it adjustable for the initial setting up.
Step 1: Components laid out.
- 6 bolts
- 4 brass screws
- 2 pine 38mm square roofing battens
- flat iron base plate 350mmx 50mm x 8mm thick
- 2 rectangular tubing 400mm x 37mm x 15mm
- 2 pieces angle iron
- 4 NSK 608z bearings, preferably metal shield low drag type, not the rubber shield
- 4 drilled and tapped metal plates 5mm thick
Step 2: Bearing mounts
These were then heated red hot and dunked in old car engine oil for the carbon looking finish, not terribly weather proof but fine for indoors.
The M8 bolts are a snug fit in the 8mm ID of the bearing.
Step 3: Slotted uprights
If you don't have a tap and die set available, you could also merely drill the upper and lower plates and run threaded rod down inside the tubing, which in hindsight would probably have been easier.