Step 2:

The rear of the machine shows the hand crank that is built similarly to the top shaft:  1/2" aluminum rod run through the frame that is bushed with brass tubing.  The lower drive shaft has two wooden pulley on it that I also turned out of cherry.  These pulleys have a v notch cut into the edge to track the rubber drive bands.  The pulleys have a small wooden hub screwed into the SIDE of the pulley which the hub has a insert in it where a screw runs through it and grips the shaft.  File a small flat on the shaft to help land the screw.

Note that each of the leyden jars exterior aluminum foil surface is bonded to a brass strap which in turn is bonded to the other jar.  This grounds the two jars exterior to help  draw in charge to the internal foil surface.  I used a very thin film of rubber cement in the jar then smoothed the foil onto it with a smooth wooden stick.  Pre-cut & test fit the foil forst and pre-smooth it before fitting it inside.

<p>Hello </p><p>I liked this project and i want to make it for my project day .</p><p>but my question is if we can generate electricity (voltage) Can we store it by using capacitor ?</p><p>if yes then how plzz tell me ?</p>
Very good work! <br> <br>When I was a boy, in the jurassic, I was able to restore a Whimshurst machine belonging to the school where I studied. It had both discs warped, I could straighten them partially. At that time there were not as many materials as now.
A lot of the older ones had glass disks. In fact I believe the world's largest Whimshurst is on display at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It was made by Whimshurst and it is non-functional for fear of the disks fracturing. I recall them to be 5 - 6 feet in diameter. Do you recall if your machine had glass disks?
No, it had plastic discs, but I don&acute;t know what type of plastic. They was not fragile, and was a bit warped, brushed against each other. I did some tries to straighten them, finally the only result was don't brushed themselves. The machine was functional, after my fix. I don't know how many time it lasted.
I'll bet that plastic is Puck-Board or HDPE Plastic, I say this because you say it wasn't fragile and it warped with time. <br>HDPE is malleable like you describe. <br>Maybe try a search on E-bay for the material if you still need it. :)
I think HDPE is a &quot;modern&quot; plastic, but those disc was VERY old, maybe previous to 1940.
Nope it's old! <br>&quot; Polyethylene was first synthesized by the German chemist Hans Von Pechmann who prepared it by accident in 1898 &quot; <br>&quot;production beginning in 1939&quot; <br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene#History <br>:)
WOW, I did not know that. <br> <br>The discs were black, heavy and a bit flexible. I think they were not HDPE, but I don't know.
Sweet job!

About This Instructable


103 favorites


Bio: I like to read all about the creative ideas everyone has here. I love to make "one of" projects, learn something about doing it and ... More »
More by badjer1: Steampunk Zoetrope with USB Chargers Steampunk LED Color mixer lamp Steampunk / Civil Defense -  LED Iphone docking station
Add instructable to: