When I got back home I re-purposed them into a planter since the boots were beyond repair. At first I was just going to put a plant in each boot and place them on either side of my balcony door, but then I got the idea to arranged the boots so that they looked like they were walking. Ideally I would have liked to place them in a garden or on the lawn but since I live on the second floor I don't have a yard just a balcony, so I just put them in a large planter and added some grass seeds.
Step 1: What You Will Need
- Old pair of rubber boots
- Rocks and soil
- A large planter bowl
- A stake
- Grass seeds (wheat, oat, or standard lawn grass)
- Screw and wing nut
- Something sharp to poke holes with
- Watering can
- Duct tape if your boots need patching
Step 2: Get Boots Ready
Step 3: Prepare Boots
- With a sharp implement poke holes in the bottom of the boot for drainage.
- Arrange the boots to look like they are walking, hold them together and mark where the hole for the screw connecting them should go.
- Make a hole in the boot where you marked and reinforce the hole with tape so that it doesn't tear.
- Insert screw and tighten the wing nut.
Step 4: Stake, Rocks and Soil
- Add soil to the large planter bowl
- Push a stake through the heel of the boot that will stand fully on the ground and stick it into the soil of the large planter
- Fill the bottom of the boots with rocks for drainage and stability
- Fill the boots with soil (leaving room to add the plants)
Step 5: Plant
- Add your plants
- Sprinkle grass seeds over the surface of the large planter bowl and lightly scatter some soil over top of seeds
- Water plants and seeds.