Step 1: The Supplies
- Aluminum foil: any kind you have
- Permanent Marker: to identify your wood
- Ziplock bags
- Stove: one that will bake to 400F
- Spirits: Whisky, Ever Clear or Vodka. Really anything but I'm using a clear whiskey.
*** This method of charring wood creates a strong earthy, creme brûlée, vanilla ish type smell. ( wife statement) She loved it!! It can be pretty strong but is nice. I used the vent hood and a fan to circulate the aroma.
Step 2: Getting Your Wood
So I wanted to experiment with the effects various types of wood have upon the flavor and aesthetics of the whisky I had placed within my 5 oz glass bottles. I also wanted to compare them to a control bottle (no charred wood, no barrel, no wood aged whisky). I obtained the wood chips from my meat smoker supply. Hickory, Pecan, Cherry, and old Whisky barrel wood (oak).
Step 3: Turn Up the Heat
- Set timer for 2Hrs
Step 4: Packaging and Putting Your Wood in
- Tear off a good 8" of aluminum foil. You will need two pieces per package to adequately cover you wood.
- Place more than a handful of your wood onto first piece of foil.
- Take second piece of foil and place over the top of your wood.
- Fold edges over to create an envelop. Ensure all edges are folded and sealed. I tried to lay my wood evenly in one layer but I don't think it's critical for this scale of operation.
- Turn your package over and with your permanent marker write the type of wood you just sealed in there. Omit this step if using only one type of wood.
- Take any pointed instrument and poke about 10-12 small holes into the top of your package.
- Place packages on oven rack and place in oven when 400F is achieved.
- Start 2Hr timer
Step 5: Take Your Wood Out
- Open the packages and allow to cool
- Admire the perfectly charred wood you just created using this Ible.
Step 6: Storing Your Wood
- I weighed out about 2 grams per 4.5 oz of clear whiskey. I don't have a reference so I will begin the R&D portion of this experiment regarding the taste and appearance.
- After completing this project I have to say it turned out very well. There was a nice even char on all the pieces and the cost was mere pennies. When you consider the novelty aging spikes are almost $10-$15; this is a very easy and inexpensive way to go. Will post an update on this project in the coming weeks. Thanks for reading.