Part of Black & White Day.
1 cup almonds, blanched and skinned
1-8 cloves garlic (I used eight; you should probably start with one.)
1/2 tsp salt
1 large cucumber
2 cups sweet white fruit (Grapes, apple, pear, etc. I used Asian pear.)
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4-1/2 cup cold water (Start with 1/4, add more if necessary.)
Salt & White pepper to taste
- Pull out your food processor, and chop the almonds to powder.
- Add the salt and garlic, and process until you have a crumbly paste.
- Peel and chunk the cucumber and fruit, and add to the food processor. Add coconut milk, process, and add cold water until you've reached a proper thick soupy consistency.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- My food processor was actually too small for this (7c) so I switched to the blender. In that case, blend the cucumber and fruit with the coconut milk and enough water to make it go, and process until smooth. Add the nut and garlic paste. Adjust consistency with water, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
1 Normally, white gazpacho would use white bread soaked in milk or water until soggy, and a bit of olive oil and possibly sherry. I chose to ignore that, and go for more almonds and some coconut milk. I'd actually meant to include olive oil, but the coconut milk really took care of that niche.