It's easy to make and it doesn't take up much space. You can plant it intensively due to the richness of the soil.
For more detailed instructions, see here.
For more information about our other how-tos, visit our site www.velacreations.com
Step 1: Frame
- At each corner dig a hole 1 ft deep, and put a 2" x 2" post in each hole.
- On the long side of the wicking bed, put a post every 2 1/2 ft.
- Screw 2" x 2" boards in between the posts.
Step 2: Gravel Bed
- Snake 4" flexible drainage pipe throughout the hole.
- Put the elbow on the end of the flexible drainage hose and connect a 3 ft long piece of 4" PVC pipe to the elbow, so that the PVC is upright.
- Fill the hole with gravel.
Step 3: Soil
- Fill the shade cloth walls with dirt, 1 to 1 1/2 ft above the gravel. Compact it as you go.
Step 4: Shade Cloth/Greenhouse
Step 5: Planting
- Fill the wicking bed with water via the PVC pipe that is sticking up. Look inside the pipe and fill to the top of the elbow.
- Plant your seedlings in the soil. You will want to water the young plants from the top until their roots get established.
- Fill the wicking bed once a week, or when it seems like the soil is getting dry.