Introduction: Window Rubber Tool

Picture of Window Rubber Tool


For those who have to work with "old-fashioned" carglass rubbers, you know the ones with a beed running in a groove to make the rubber expand.

First of all I don't know the correct word in English for the tool I'm about to discribe .

In Dutch the beed translates 'tendon' so in Dutch we call such a tool a tendonpuller, if you will.

But please go ahead and help me out in the comments, I'm curious.

OK, so I didn't have one and still wanted to install a new windshield in my OldTimer Citroën. An Ami 8 from '71.

Here's what I did.

Step 1: Find One of These...

Picture of Find One of These...

We call them splitpennen, obvious why. To secure whatever, you know ?

The one I used just passes through a 5 mm hole.

Step 2: Shape the Needed Profile....

Picture of Shape the Needed Profile....

Get your collection of pliers out and bend the beep out of that pin 'till your rubber passes through the opening easy.

Also if you keep it under a bit of an angle.

Step 3: Finishing and Completing...

Picture of Finishing and Completing...

When your are satisfied file and sand the surfaces really smooth, no edges, no hooks, nothing, get it.

I bent the legs outward a bit and slipped a pair of vicegrip pliers in between making a great handle.

Step 4: The Tool Worked Great by the Way...

Picture of The Tool Worked Great by the Way...

If it's slippery it works, that is, I used a bit of detergent for the dishes.

Don't even consider trying it dry, believe me.

Good luck, work safe, have fun, Steve (aka VanoF)


keets (author)2017-05-01

Slim bedacht!

Hoe die pezentrekker in het engels heet weet ik niet. Maar een splitpen is een "cotterpin".

Je zou eens op zoek moeten naar een emmertje bandenvet. Ideaal om banden te monteren uiteraard, maar ook voor dit soort klussen met rubber erg handig!

VanoF (author)keets2017-05-02


Cotterpin klinkt bekend inderdaad, dank je.

Ik heb het niet vaak genoeg aan de hand voor een emmer vet maar je hebt gelijk, 't is ideaal.

(alle niet-nederlanders mogen zich nu stukbijten op déze tekst, hihi)

Groet uit Heiloo, waar zit jij?

keets (author)VanoF2017-05-17

LOL. Ik zit in Noorwegen!

Noorwegen is duur, maar we hebben wel de biltema, en die is niet duur.

Daar hebben ze 2 kg emmertjes vet. Ga ik mijn hele leven mee doen denk ik zo. Meestal zit bandenvet in grote verpakkingen, maar je zou eens kunnen kijken bij barntools.

Oh even gezocht: kijk eens aan 1kg €6,-

imcp1024 (author)2017-05-02

I usually run a 1 mm string along the groove to set a window with a rubber gasket. but I like the way you solved the problem.

VanoF (author)imcp10242017-05-02

That's what I do too. The stringtrick.

My tool comes in after that, it runs the second rubber in the groove left over.

It can be plastic and even a metal-look profile enhancing the looks of your car.

Actually the gasket has three grooves, one holds the glass, one holds the windowframe of the car and the last gets the beed run in to it to secure everything.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

cerberustugowar (author)2017-05-02

I know it as a cotter pin. I think I know of the rubber you are talking about. I see it in construction machines. You pull a tab and it pulls out the rubber insert and then you can push the window out if you need to get out of the vehicle. I don't know what you would call it but in case anyone doesn't know what he is talking about, I believe it's basically a long piece of o-ring rubber that would go around the circumference of a window. It gets inserted into a channel in the windshield gasket which makes it expand slightly and holds the window in place. Here's a photo I found and the link

chesterdad (author)2017-05-02

So, the device you started with, I'd call a cotter key.

Car glass 'rubbers' would be a windshield gasket in the States.

I've bent larger sized paper clips to a shape like the one you used but for removing excess materials -- like caulking.

Thanks for your Instructible!

About This Instructable




Bio: Finewoodworker, Antique Restorer, Old Timer- and Motorcycle Enthusiast.
Add instructable to: