Introduction: Windowsill Hydroponic Herb Garden
Runner Up in the
Urban Farming Contest
In this Instructable I will share my window Hydroponic herb garden. You can easily do at home
Step 1: Get Materials
I used a Bread container as a Water reservoire
-1x Breadcontainer with a wooden cover. (12€)
-3x Netpots in the size of 80mm diameter. (The diameter of the Netpots depent on the Drills you have to make the holes. The largest one I had was 80mm) (0,80€)
-1x Bag of Hydroponic grow rocks (You need less, but the least amount I got was 5kg) (6€)
-3x Rockwool cubes (0,50€)
-1m Wick or optional shoelaces (1,29€)
-1 Drillsaw with the same diameter of your Netpots
- Some hydroponic nutrient solution (I use hesi hydro grow with NPK 3-2-4) (7€)
Step 2: Get the Holes in the Wood
1. Measure the middle of your wood lid and mark it.
Use a compass to mark the Netpot that sits in the middle of your lid. Now it depends on the space you have on your lid, if there is space for more than one Netpot like in my case, add the diameter of your netpots plus 1cm (9cm) and mark a point 9cm next to the middle.
2. Drill holes with your Drillsaw at the marked points in your wood.
Step 3: Get Your Netpots Ready for Some Planting
1. Rinse the hydroponic rocks with clear water, to get the dust off them.
2. Place the wick through the holes in the bottom of the netpot, so that it reachs the bottom of the container up to the top of your netpot.
3. Carefully fill 2/3rd of the netpot with hydroponic rocks. make sure the wick sits straight in the middle of your netpot to secure an even water supply
4. On top of the rocks put two half's of the rockwool cubes and water them.
5. Plant! I planted two pots with basil (basil germinates under light, make sure they get it) and one with cilantro (cilantro germinates in darkness, so i covered the seeds with hydro rocks)
Step 4: Get the Container Ready
Fill the container with clear water till it reaches the bottom of your netpots. I used a container with 9l volume so there are about 6l of water left. As roots also need air to grow, there are additional 3l air in the container.
Place the netpots!
Don't use the nutrients before the fourth week of growth because to much nutrients would harm the tiny plants.
Step 5: Place Your Hydroponic Herb Garden Next to the Window
As a different water reservoire I used a half cut wine bottle, it holds one netpot, wich also looks nice. Unfortunately I don't have pictures with ready herbs in it.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.