In this Instructable I will be telling and showing you how to make the adorable animals pictured below.
As usual I like to include a short story of how this Instructable came to happen, a while back I saw these amazing sculptures of animals made from wire and for months wanted to make them, one day I bought a pack of wire to make earring findings only to find out it was not suitable for this purpose. DAMN! But being the non wasteful so and so that I am I decided to make these small animals.
I hope you enjoy and let's get started!
(I first spotted this on an etsy store the link to which is below)
Step 1: What You Will Need!
- A drill- optional- If you would like the spiral on the wire that mine has you will need the drill
- Wire- The cheapest will do here no need to break the bank, I'm using 22 Gauge garden wire
- A variety of cylindrical object with ascending circumferences- For example a small round file, a pencil, a hot glue stick, a pen
- A way of cutting the wire- I used my multi-tool
Needle nose pliers
Step 2: Spiralling The Wire
Anyways, to achieve a nice constant spiral pattern follow the pictures and instructions which follow:
- Cut a length of wire around 5 feet long
- Put both ends of the wire in the drill chuck and secure them tightly
- Find the half way point and put a pencil on the inside and hold it as shown in the second picture to prevent the wire slipping
- Put the drill on and watch the spirally magic
- Chop off the loop at the end