All of the code and instruction provided is done so with no guarantee of success. I've bugtested the code to the best of my ability, and it should work in most cases, but certain things can throw it off. Details of such are within.
Step 1: Required Pieces/Parts for the Project
(1) Arduino Uno board
(1) Breadboard (I used a MakerShield prototyping shield instead, but a breadboard works just as well, albeit less compact)
(1) LED, your choice of color
(>12) Breadboard cables
(1) 16x2 Character LCD display, compatible with the LiquidCrystal library (works with larger LCD's with tweaking)
(1) Potentiometer, preferably 10K ohms.
(1) USB to USB-B cable (standard USB-to-Arduino cable)