Introduction: Wood Pallet Mirror
I had some left over pallet wood from the pallet wall project instructable that I did earlier on so I figured I would make a mirror for our downstairs bathroom that that I have been slacking on big time.
The materials and tools used for this project were:
- Pallet Wood
- Wood Glue
- 3 Inexpensive Mirrors
- Corner Brackets
- Pocket Hole Screws
- Pocket Hole Jig
- Table Saw/Miter Saw
- Chisel/Screw Driver
- Sand Paper (optional)
- Tape Measure/Square/Pencil
Step 1: Step 1: Disassemble the Mirrors
I purchased these mirrors from walmart for right around 25 dollars for all three. The middle mirror measures 16x20 inches and the two side mirrors are 14x14 inches. The frames are made of cheap hollow plastic and they can be easily separated with a small screwdriver. I saved the sawtooth hangers from the back of the mirror to add to the new mirror later.
Step 2: Step 2: Rip Down to Size
I set my table saw to 2 1/2 inches and ripped every board down to that width. I then dadoed one side of each board. I went approximately 3/8 wide by 3/16 deep. Then I used a chisel to smooth out the dado.
Step 3: Step 3: Build the Center Frame/Test Fit
I mitered all 4 corners of the center frame for 45 degrees. Did a dry fit and set the mirror into the frame to see how it would fit. When I dadoed the inside I left about a 1/16 of an inch on each side for play and expansion and contraction.
After seeing that everything would fit and making any minor adjustments that you may have to make, go ahead and start assembling the middle frame.
I picked up a pocket hole jig from Menards for 30 bucks and it worked pretty slick. I only used one screw into each corner of the frame and it was also adhered with some wood glue.
Then I set the mirror into the back of the frame and very carefully tightened it down using 4 corner L shaped galvanized brackets as seen in the picture above.
Step 4: Step 4: Assemble Sides and Finish
Same as the middle frame, the two side frames were exactly the same with the exception that I did not miter the corners... and that was because I ran out of material :-) I sort of lucked out being able to finish the sides by just butting them up. Plus with both sides being the same, nobody will know any different...except for everyone who's reading this of course.
I just made sure that the "C" frame was square, each end was screwed with a pocket hole and glued.
Then I flipped all three frames over and drilled a pocket hole into the top and bottom of the side frames, glued the ends and centered it on the middle frame.
For the inside of the frame, I stained everything to match, using a foam brush and a rag. No polyurethane was used in this project.
After the stain dried I inserted the mirrors and used the corner brackets to secure them.
For the hangers, I used two of the sawtooth hangers we took off of the mirrors in the beginning and placed them on the top and towards the outer edges of the middle mirror.
This project only took about 3 hours and that included filming and hanging the mirror. I am completely satisfied with how it turned out as it fits within our modern/rustic home that I built.
If you like this project and would like to see other projects like this one please visit my YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/c/adamfleisch
Thanks for looking!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.