The Inspiration.

When I got married, we decided to live in my apartment. The location was great, but it did need a little work.
And what needed the most work was our single bathroom.
As a single guy, I knew that the bathroom was bad (but I could still live with it).
Needles to say my wife had a very different opinion on what "tolerable" was.
So, with a tiny budget, I started to do the things I knew how:
  • Changed the horrible yellow floating sink for a new sink with a cabinet .
  • Changed the 1960's yellow toilet for a single piece one from Costco
  • Put in a vinyl floor (the kind that comes in single pieces where you peel of the paper on the back that protects the glue).
But then I hit a snag...the walls.
The plaster had seen better days 10 years before I moved in. It looked more like the face of the moon that a wall. Add to that about 15 coats of paint that had peeled partially and irregularly of the walls...well it actually looked more like a a slab of Swiss cheese gone bad.

I tried to fix it, only to make maters worse. Me and plaster will never be friends. So I called a guy and he gave me an estimate of how much it would cost.
Not nice, not nice at all. 
A few days later, I was cleaning out some old magazines when I saw a pic of a real nice wood paneled room when inspiration hit.

Wood Panels!!

They would look great, and would be cheaper that re plastering the walls.

A little side note.

I did this almost six years ago, and as you can see, the panels still look as good as the day I put them up. One day I will have to re varnish but hopefully that's still a few years in the future (lot of other projects to spend my time on)

In the end, it cost about $300 to panel the bathroom, which was a lot less that having the walls re plastered and then having to paint them.

Step 1: Turning an Idea into a doable plan

So, now that I knew what I wanted, the next step was finding a way to do it easily and without any special tools or a lot of non existent cash.

I went to my neighborhood home improvement store and quickly found an inexpensive 3 ply plywood sheet that would fit the bill. The "nice" side was some really nice reddish wood.
The only problem was that there was no way I could use a complete sheet per wall, due to size mismatch.
I didn't like the idea of an asymmetrical panel on the wall, so after thinking about it a bit, I decided to cut the sheet down into wood tiles. 
It proved to be a good idea, since it does look grand.
At the time, I still did not own a table saw, so I got the guy at the home improvement store to cut the wood down to size.  

About This Instructable


37 favorites


Bio: A tinker since the cradle, I love looking at things and trying to figure out how they work and the best way to mod them
More by urant: Castle Loft Bed How to build the plusDuo kid's chair/desk The Psychoacoustic Bucket from Hell
Tags: wood panel
Add instructable to: