Introduction: Wood Toy Gorilla
This instuctable goes through the steps of making a wood toy gorilla.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
1. Band saw, for cutting out template and toy.
2. Drill press for drilling axle holes.
3. Drill bits
4. 1" belt sander for sanding the toy.
5. Router table with 1/4" round over bit.
6. Safety goggles
1. Axles and wheels
3. 2"x6" stock(or scrap)
4. 1/8" ply
Step 2: Find a Photo of a Gorilla
Find a side view picture of a gorilla that you can trace
Step 3: Print Image
1. Copy the image into a word processor and size the image to you desired size
2. Print out the picture
3. Trace and “cartoonize” the picture
4. Add dots where you want the wheels to go
Step 4: Trace the Image
1. Trace the image onto a 1/8 inch piece of plywood
2. Using the band saw, cut out the traced shape
3. Sand the shape to remove marks left from the band saw
4. Place dots where you want the wheels to go
Step 5: Cutting Out Your Toy
1. Trace the blank onto a piece of stock wood
2. Cut out the shape using the band saw
3. After it is cut out use the paper template and a pencil to mark where you want to drill your holes
Step 6: Drilling the Axle Holes
1. Use the axle to find the right size drill bit
2. Make a dent in the wood to make drilling easier
3. Place a piece of scrap wood under the blank and drill out the holes
Step 7: Router the Edges
1. Insert the round over bit into the table and make sure it’s level
2. Keeping your hands on the top of the wood and slide the edges of the wood along the router bit
Step 8: Sanding
1. Use the palm sander to sand the face of the gorilla
2. Use sand paper to sand the routered edges until it is completely smooth and all burn marks are gone
Step 9: Paint
Be creative and use as much or as little paint as you would like
Step 10: Attach the Wheels
1. Check to make sure your axle fits snugly
2. Place a small dot of glue inside the axle hole (not on the axle)
3. Put the axle onto the wheel and fit the axle into the hole
4. Make sure the wheel can spin
5. Repeat for the rest of the wheels
Step 11: Finished
Enjoy your own tribute to Harambe
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.