This is a guide for how I made my stove. It is not the only way.
I am not a professional metalworker but a guy with some tools and a workshop .The final outcome was very successful and I have received many positive comments about it.
The flat top gets hot enough to cook on and/or boil a kettle and the output it approximately 4-5kw when it's fully up to temperature. Perfect for heating a small room. I've only ever used it when camping outdoors or in my yard but the plan is to use it when winter camping in a bell tent.
I am making this Instructable to show people how easy it is.
Almost everything was fabricated from the sheet steel for this (apart from the flue pipe which I bought in especially) and the whole process took me about 10 hours in total spread over a few evenings.
Tools and Equipment needed:
I used a sheet of 4mm mild steel 1200mm x 625mm that I had lying around so based my design on that but what ever you have access to. I guess you could use thinner but my stove holds its heat really nicely and doesn't deform with heat so I wouldn't want to make it any thinner.
I got quite good with an angle grinder doing this project and its a brilliant tool if used carefully.
A good quality jigsaw is a great purchase as it needs a bit of grunt to cut through the steel - and always good quality blades, even if your machine is cheap, spend the money on good blades. Cheap blades are a false economy. I have a Bosch GST 150 230v jigsaw and only ever buy bosch blades.
So I designed my stove on Google SketchUp. I love this software and it is amazingly easy to use, even for a novice. Everybody should have it and best of all, its free!
To start with I drew the whole stove then calculated how big I could make it.
I already had a sheet of 4mm mild steel that was 1200mm x 625mm so I made it as big as I could out of that.
My plan was to make the front, sides and back like a 'net' of a cube and 'fold' them in to create nice smooth corners, rather than weld the plates together and have to spend hours grinding away to get a good finish.
I would then seam weld the top on and fit a baffle inside to improve the burn (see 4th image) and then fit a bottom with bolts so it is removable for cleaning
For the legs I originally planned on using some more sheet steel and making some little angled legs that could bolt on but I ran out of steel and also had an old school-type chair lying around so decided to cut that up and use the steel legs from that.