This project takes one of those pictures and turns it into something more permanent than a 4x6 Walgreens print with plywood, Illustrator, and some glue.
I made this as a gift for my boyfriend. It is my favorite picture of us :D
***I made this at TechShop!!
Step 1: Materials and Tools
(2) 20" x 18" x 1/4" Maple board
Dark Stain: I used MINWAX's English Chestnut stain
Photoshop (photo editing program)
Illustrator (vector drawing program)
Step 2: Photo Manipulation
Step 3: Turn into a Vector File
- Click on the image.
- Click the Live Trace button on the tool bar at the top.
- Click the Expand button on the tool bar at the top.
- Set the outline color to black and the fill color to none.
- Manipulate the vertices in Illustrator, or another vector drawing program, to have a file to laser cut.
Step 4: Putting It All Together
Using wood glue, mount the laser cut image to a second board that is the same size as the image.
You add a wire to the back of the completed image if you like!