Introduction: Wooden Flower Boxes

Picture of Wooden Flower Boxes

I made a couple of flower boxes to give some color outside my bedroom's window. I bought unplaned boards of pine with low cost. It was a simple one-day project and a nice decorative element.


Materials:

  • Pine boards
  • Nails
  • Lag Screws
  • Washers
  • Wall plugs
  • 8 mm dowels
  • Soil
  • Flowers


Tools:

  • Jigsaw
  • Drill
  • Hammer
  • Screwdriver
  • Palm sander
  • 80 grit sandpaper
  • Wood drill bit No.8
  • Concrete drill bit No.10
  • Spade drill bit No.25
  • Clamps
  • Brush

Step 1: Making the Boxes

Picture of Making the Boxes

Every side of the boxes are from 1,5 board width. After I cut the boards to length and some of them to width, I drilled holes for dowels and glued the narrow boards to the widers. I formed the box frames with glue and nails. I did the same for the bottoms and nailed them to frames. That day my neighbors, I am sure, they got mad at me for hammering noise. I drilled some holes at the bottoms to drain the water.

Step 2: French Cleats

Picture of French Cleats

I cut two board to the same length as the boxes. I mitered my jigssaw at 45 degree angle and cut those two boards to half to make the cleats. I ended up having four cleats at the same dimensions. Two of them were nailed at the back of the boxes. The other two will be screwed later to the wall.

Step 3: Sanding and Staining

Picture of Sanding and Staining

Now that every box and cleat is ready, it's time for stain. After I did a light sanding to smooth up every surface I applied two coats of external waterbased wood preserver. I chose the stain to give a rustic look.

Step 4: Attaching to the Wall

Picture of Attaching to the Wall

After the stain was dried, I drilled holes on the two remaining cleats. With a spade drill bit, I made recesses around the holes to make room for the washers and the screws heads. I placed the cleats where I wanted to be, and marked the holes projections to the wall. I drilled with a 10 mm concrete drill bit and screwed the cleats to the wall. I used long lag screws to support the weight. I attached the boxes on the cleats.

Step 5: Planting

Picture of Planting

The boxes were ready and in place. I went to a nursery and bought some plants and soil. I planted the flowers and the result was awesome.

Step 6: Bonus Box

Picture of Bonus Box

After a few days I made another one, much bigger box. The reason for this was to put it on the pound and plant a couple of small bush-like trees, so that the yard can't be easy visible from the street. I bought again unplaned pine boards and follow almost the same procedure.

Step 7: Making the Box

Picture of Making the Box

The height and the bottom of this box is as much as the width of three boards. I drilled holes for dowels and glued every three boards together. I assembled the box with glue and nails in every piece. I drilled some holes at the bottom to drain the water.

Step 8: Making Feet

Picture of Making Feet

This box will not hang as the others but will stay on the pound surface. I made some feet to raise it a little from the pound. I cut two boards to length as the box width and then I rip cut them in half. I glued and nailed the four pieces to the bottom of the box.

Step 9: Staining and Planting

Picture of Staining and Planting

I did a light sanding and then I applied two coats of the same stain. After the stain was dried I placed the box in its position. I bought a couple of bush-like trees and many sacks with soil. I planted them in and waited to grow up.

Step 10: Aftermath

After a while I did a check to be sure the boxes are in good condition.

In one of the two small boxes I used a different type of soil wich I already had it in a plastic bag. For the other small box and the big one I used the soil I've bought from the nursery. This soil made damage not only in the stain, but also in the whole wood. Maybe somethιng in its composition corroded the wood. The small box was easy to repair. After the plants died, I thrown the soil, did a good cleaning in every surface and stained it again. Obviously I didn't use again that soil. The big box is still damaged.

The other thing I've noticed at the big box was that on the long sides the joints between each board tended to open because of soil's weight. Probably the dowels held the boards together. This could be fix by adding vertical supporting pieces from the inside of the box. I don't know if I will fix this box someday or if I'll wait until it breaks up.

If you liked the Instructable please vote.

Comments

About This Instructable

1,446views

25favorites

License:

Bio: Hi, my name is Stefanos. I am Electrical Engineer and an upcoming Computer Technician. My passion is woodworking and I love DIYing. Also I am ... More »
More by tsaouste:BBQ Firewood Cabin DoorsPallet Block ClockWooden Flower Boxes
Add instructable to: