Introduction: Wooden Headphone Stand
I have never really bothered to take good care of my headphones, I have always just thrown them onto my desk or shoved into a drawer. After these eventually broke, I replaced them with a good new pair (Sennheiser HD280 Pro). which I decided to take better care of. I did some online research into headphone stands, and not particularly liking any that I came up with I decided to design my own. The result both looks great and keeps my headphones safe.
Step 1: Parts and Materials
-18-22mm solid wood. I used some recycled red pine, but any decent wood would be fine.- Jigsaw or bandsaw
- File and/or sandpaper- Drill and drill bits
- Router (optional, not required)- Screws and wood glue
- Danish oil, varnish or similar coating- Printer
-Glue or tape
I created my design in Solidworks, which I then produced renderings of. Once I had come up with a design I liked, I created a drawing outline. If you have Solidworks, feel free to download my design to modify, otherwise just print off the PDF template.
Ensure that the template is printed with no printer scaling. Select your piece of wood and glue or tape the template on ensuring that you are not including areas such as splits or knots.
Mark out the base as a 150mm x 150mm square
Cut around the template with the jigsaw or bandsaw for both the main arm and the base. Smooth with sandpaper and/or a file, starting rough then finishing to a smooth surface. Round off the edges as shown on the rendering and template. Ensure that you always sand with the grain, and remove any scratches.
You can optionally route the edges on the base. I chose to do this, which looks pretty good. Alternative you can just put a plain bevel on the edge.
Drill the holes for the arm in the base, countersinking the holes from the bottom so the screw head does not protrude. It would also be advisable to drill into the arm also to ensure that it does not split. Glue and screw together.
Finally apply the finish of your choice. I used danish oil which came to a very nice surface finish and was easy to apply. Sand lightly between coats to remove any rough areas or bubbles.