In the dart launcher...the firing mechanism is made up of a rubber band ...which itself acts as the dart!!! I mean that the rubber band self- propels itself. This is the best part because it makes the dart harmless to others.
This contraption is actually one of the easiest and best things one can do with a rubber band. Requires almost no money to build this device (provided you own a rubber band).
And still , this contraption operates in two different modes:
1) Low speed <=> High Accuracy.
2) Very high speed <=> Lower Accuracy.
Yet , at the end of the day, you will realize ,that this dart launcher gives a great deal of accuracy considering that it was built using EXTREMELY old tools i.e.
1) Your right hand - Invented by "GOD" around 400,000 years ago.
2) Rubber- invented by "Charles Marie de La Condamine" in 1751.
Also this Instructable is an entry to the " KLUTZ RUBBER BAND POWERED CONTEST"!
So if you like it please do vote for me!
Comments and rating are most welcome!
Step 1: Tools
1) Your Hand.
2) A rubber band.
The length of the unstressed band should be as long as your index finger. A slightly shorter rubber band will provide more speed to the flight!
Step 2: Loading the Launcher!
Just follow the steps given below. I've also thrown in pictures of each step. Take a close look at each one of them!
1) Close your little finger on your palm.( Let the other three fingers stick out as shown in the first picture).
2) Hold the one end of the rubber band tightly on the palm using this finger.
Now move on to the next step. We will now store some elastic potential energy in the rubber band!
Step 3: Loading the Launcher (part 2)!
1) Now twist the rubber band from behind the base of the thumb.(Shown in pictures 1 and 2).
2) Stretch the rubber band right up to your index finger.
3) Lock the rubber band firmly between the nail and the finger.( You may take some time to get a hang of this.)
Now you can choose between the index and the second finger.
The index finger gives you better accuracy, but low speed.
The middle finger gives you better speed but lower accuracy.
Bingo! Your Dart launcher is now Loaded!
Step 4: Firing the Rubber Band!
2) Taking Aim: Let your thumb stick out upwards.Look at the target and align it with your thumb. The thumb will naturally guide the direction of the shot.
Let go of the little finger( the one holding the band on your palm!)
4) The band will catapult itself with TREMENDOUS velocity towards the target.
( The accuracy is superb)!
Step 5: The DIY Dartboard for the Launcher.
Just put some circles randomly, give them some points and you dartboard is ready!
Then stick it on the wall of your office pick up that rubber band and get going!!!