Introduction: Worlds Easiest and Coolest Grinchmas Tree
My favorite Christmas story and cartoon was/is 'The Grinch who stole Christmas' Recently my wife found a flower shop that was making 'Grinch' trees that immediately put a smile on my face made out of cedar bows a few ornaments etc.. Loved it but the price was a bit much for me so I decided to make my own and to make it so that it will not die out on me.
Step 1: What You Need
- 10" diameter circle piece of plywood 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick
- 8 wire coat hangers
- 1 mini led string of lights (50 in this string)
- Green Garland
- mini strand of Garland in a fancy color
- Ugly decorations with one big ball ornament
- Tie wraps or twist ties or duck tape
- Side cutters
- Hot glue gun ( in my eyes a mini nightmare of a napalm dispenser, you will understand this statement when you get the first blob on your hand )
- Depending on the chunk of wood you have you may need a jig saw (you can buy 10" diameter disks at most hardware stores)
-Drill and 1/16 drill bit
Step 2: Initial Prep
- If you have a disk of wood mark out 8 locations about 1/2 inch from the edge equally spaced and drill holes half way through, if you do not have a disk or use a jigsaw and cut one out or even use a square piece of ply 10"x10", it is only a esthetic choice to have it round.
- cut the hooks off the coat hanger and straighten them out
- insert the hanger ends into the holes in the first step
- Hot glue them into the holes
Step 3: Basic Shape
- Now you bend the tops roughly into a bent top of a tree. Dont spend much time making this perfect, the rougher it is the better the tree turns out. Its a Grinch tree after all....
-Take a tie wrap of twist tie to join the hangers at the ends trim them up to a neat end
-Note there is one hanger that is curled back on itself to hold the big ugly ornament (I wonder how the wife is going to take me calling one of her favorite ornaments ugly? I may get coal this Christmas for this instructable :) )
Step 4: Almost There
- Take the mini Christmas lights and from the top starting with the female end of the lights (this is very important ) tie wrap or twist tie the end to the top of the tree frame
- Wrap the string of lights around the frame spiraling down and occasionally fastening the string with a... you guessed it.. a tie wrap or twist tie or tape
- Start at the bottom and wrap the green garland up the tree fastening it with tie wraps or twist ties occasionally
- start anywhere you please and add the fancy colored garland
Step 5: Final Step
- Hang goddy ornament at end of tree
- add a few ornaments and garnishes as you see fit
- plug in and enjoy
FYI this cost about 12 dollars and makes a great mini tree for a gift or display on a table etc... I have given out a few and all ended up in big smiles, even when the recipient had to ask 'What is it?" the second you say Grinch tree it immediately hits them and a smile grinchilly creeps onto their face.
Below is my podcast and the build is in the second section of the show at 5:36 but the beginning of the show is much funnier and by Dave Spencer and that intructable is here:
The fun, amazing, surprising, exploding gift box
If you like the cast do me a favor and hit this link and DIGG it
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.