I first started getting interested in pin cushions that attach to your wrist watching Project Runway. I realized that a lot of people on the show had really unique fully-customized pin cushions and that attaching a pin cushion to your wrist made this sewing tool into a sort of fashion accessory. From this line of thinking I somehow settled on a pin cushion that looks like a wrist watch.
This is an entry for the Singer Kids Crafts Contest. Please vote for me if you like it!
Step 1: Gather your supplies
For this project you will need:
1. At least two 8.5" x 11" sheets of felt, preferably in two colors. One color is for the watch face and the other is for the body of the watch and the strap. You can have more colors if you want!
2. A small ball of fiberfill stuffing.
3. Some scissors
4. A small embroidery needle.
5. Some embroidery floss in your favorite colors. You want to get the kind of embroidery floss that is made of 6 strands of cotton thread.
6. A plastic bottle top. The wider the top the better! It should also be at least 1/4" deep. We used a cap from a 20 oz soda.
7. Fabric glue.
8. Velcro--make sure it is not self-adhesive. Self-adhesive Velcro may not be strong enough to stay attached and is difficult to sew through because the adhesive gums up your thread.
9. Some pins to put in your finished pin cushion! These are also helpful for making the project.
Optionally you may want to also have:
- Glitter paint, fabric markers or anything else you could use for decoration.
- Regular cotton sewing thread (this may make the basting easier--Don't worry you will learn about basting very soon!). It doesn't matter what color the thread is because it will be hidden inside the pin cushion.