Introduction: XY Plotter Drawing Robot | Arduino | Polargraph
In this tutorial we will learn how to make X Y Plotter Drawing machine. With Drawing Robot you can draw images on wall, panel or A4 paper. You can print pictures or print text. All required hardware for this project are listed below. We will learn how to install and use the Polargraph program for robot control. Video editing of this project took a lot of time. I hope the video will be useful to you. If you want, you can subscribe to the my channel for support.
Step 1: Required Hardwares
Arduino Board -- https://goo.gl/RcRmi1
L293D Motor Shield -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
L293D Motor IC -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
17 Stepper Motor -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
Servo Motor -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
GT2 Pulley 16 Teeth Set -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
GT2 Rubber Belt (5M) -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
DC Power Supply -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
Adapter Power Supply -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
Board Marker Pen -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
Jumper Wires -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
Lead Weight -- https://goo.gl/vP6jkm
Anet® A8 3D Printer -- https://goo.gl/rpdqQ4
3D Printer not Available
Stepper Mounting Bracket -- https://goo.gl/EEjirC
CD for Gondola
Step 2: 3D Models - Plotter Gondola and Stepper Bracket
Step 3: Assembly of the Gondola, Stepper Motors and Servo
- Belts connect to the Gondola. (Adjust the length of the belts according to size of your board.)
- Servo motor connect to the Gondola
- Assembly the mounting brackets to the stepper motors.
- Attach a weight to the empty end of the belts (I used 4xAA batteries for weight.)
Step 4: Assembly All Parts on the Board
- Fix the stepper motors to the upper right and upper left corner of the board.
- Fiz the servo motor and pen to the gondola.
- Connect enough weight to the empty en of the belts.
- Also use a weight to hang the gondola down. (This weight may be coins or batteries.)
Step 5: Machine Dimensions
- Remember that your machine size is NOT the same as your surface siz.
- Your PAGE or drawing AREA size will be smaller.
- Machine Width:
This is the distance between two closest points on the sprockets (between two pulleys).
- Machine Height:
This is the distance from the sprocket axis to bottom of your drawing (board) area.
- Home Point:
This is a magic point marked on the centerline, exactly 120mm (12cm) down from the top edge of your machine.
- Keep the dimensions of your machine. We will use these values in the software section.
Step 6: Connections
- We use a high-torque stepper motors with the L293D motor driver, so the L293D integration overheated.
- We should upgrade the L293D motor driver before connecting. You can watch the following tutorial for this.
- After L293D upgrade, make connections according to the circuit diagram above.
Step 7: Source Code and Polargraph
- Download and install Processing version 1.5.1 -- https://processing.org/download/
- Download and install Arduino IDE version 1.0.5 -- https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases
Finally, download the following compressed file for Polargraph 1.2 and its libraries.
- Copy the libraries to be used for the Arduino source code. (Copy the libraries in the Polargraph libraries folder to the Arduino libraries folder.)
- Find the source code to use for the Arduino. (Open the cource code in the Polargraph/ arduino-source/ polargraph_server_a1 folder.)
- Upload the polargraph_server_a1.ino source code to the Arduino.
- Then open the Processing software. Find the SketchBook folder from file / preferences/ sketchbook/ location
- Find the Processing libraries in the Polargraph folder. Copy all the library folders in this folder into the libraries folder in the Processing Sketchbook folder.
- Move the Polargrapcontroller folder inside the Polargraph folder/ processing-source/ folder into the sketchbook folder.
Define first settings - Machine dimensions
- Open Processing. Then open polargraphcontroller (file -> sketchbook -> polargraphcontroller)
- Run the program by pressing the Run button.
- Enter the Setup section from the tool bar.
- Adjust the size between two pulleys on the Machine Width
- Adjust the Machine Height (height between the pulleyand the end of the panel)
- After machine dimensions, adjust the size the area you will draw. (If ou will draw on an A4 paper, set the A4 size.)
- Then, first clicthe Center Page and then set the Page Pos Y value 120.
- Secondly click Center Home Point and set Home Pos Y value 120.
Stepper motor and pulley settings
- Set the MM Per Rev value according to the pulley and belt you are using. For example, if the belt is GT2 the lue is 2mm. If the pulley has 16 teeth, 2x16 = 32mm. So, the belt will advance 2mm each turn.
- Adjust Steps Per Rev according to the stepper motor type. For example, if te step angle of the used stepper motor is 1.8 degrees the value is 200 steps. This value is adjust to 400 because dual motor is used.
Servo motor (Pen) settings
- Pen Up Position and Pen Down Position values are the operating angle of the servo motor.
- Click Serial Port and select Arduino's port from the list of connected devices.
- When the correct port is selected, the 'No Serial Connection' display will turn GREEN and the port number to which it is CONNECTED will be displayed.
- Click on 'Command Queue' and command transmission is activated.
- Click Upload Lift Range, then click Test Lift Range and test the servo motor angle.
Last Settings - Upload vector image and start the print
- Save your setting. Load your setting every time you turn on the program.
- Click the Input tab and switch to the main screen of the program.
- Then we will anually set the gondola for 'Set Home' manually. Move the gondola by manually and move it to the previously defined home point. The gondola must be adjusted this way before each drawing before clicking 'Set Home'.
- After this adjustment is done, Set Home and Set Pen Position are clicked.
- Click Set Area to specify your drawing are. Then click Set Frame to Area to make all necessary settings for drawing.
- Find any vector drawing image. Convert image to the SVG format from any converter platform.
- After select Load Vector from program. Adjust image size with Resize Vector. Move the image to the desired area with Move Vector. Then adjust the area to be printed with Select Area and Set Frame to Area.
- Finally, click the Draw Vector command to start the machine.
2 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.
I go this error message how can I fix it.
I go this error message how can I fix it.
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"
polargraph_server_a1:157: error: 'multiplier' was not declared in this scope
float mmPerStep = mmPerRev / multiplier(motorStepsPerRev);
polargraph_server_a1:158: error: 'multiplier' was not declared in this scope
float stepsPerMM = multiplier(motorStepsPerRev) / mmPerRev;
exit status 1
'multiplier' was not declared in this scope
This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
nice work dear, any way my mc works well without servo, but when servo is connected the arduino gets dissconnected thus processing also gets dissconnected, emedy pls,
I had done all these setup but I have a issue of overlapping images, I don't know what to do can anyone help me?
What can we do with roving tool bar?
1.How to write words using xy plotter?
2. My XY plotter is drawing images but it gets overlapped on one another, is there any solution to overcome this problem?
buenas tardes, me gustaria realizar esta practica pero no encotrado el mismo motor con las espesificaciones, si me podria servir este https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-598331505-motor-a-pasos-nema-17-cable-70cm-incluye-envio-garantizado-_JM
I have a problem with inatallation software. It is about copying Polargraph into individual folders. Somehow I did not understand it. I can not English, I use google translator. I have correct versions of individual programs. Will you help me?
Thank you Zdeněk
68 years old
fun, hobby, new technology
I am not able to get into the machine settings. I have done all steps as said by you.I have installed processing version 1.5.1 but it is not working.So I have installed processing version 3.3.6. I am stuck with the machine settings. Can you please help me with this problem? After 5:40 that is in the video i am not able to proceed. Please help me with this problem.
Define first settings - Machine dimensions
Open Processing. Then open polargraphcontroller (file -> sketchbook -> polargraphcontroller)
Run the program by pressing the Run button.
When I hit run it says could not find sketch size? where do I change the size?