Also, if I missed anything, please tell me, this is my first instructable, and i want this to be as in depth as possible.
I will not go over how to FTP or make the USB controller, you can find that elsewhere.
Step 1: Materials
Splinter Cell or 007: agent under fire or Original mechassault (not a special edition)
If you have an Action replay, or way to transfer save files onto xbox, then these materials are not needed.
USB modded Xbox controller
Action replay software. (free from the action replay site, i forgot where i got it...)
Save game exploit for game of your choice (i used Ndure softmod)
there are 2 ways of connection to xbox through xbox
2 straight-through ethernet cords
2 ethernet net ports on computer. (only one if not connected to internet)
With that done and out of the way, we move onto the first step!
Step 2: Set Up a Network.
2 straight-though ethernet cords.
1) Connect your internet cord to the uplink (optional, but necessary if you still want to connect to the internet, unless you connect through some other means)
2) Take the two cords, and place them in the router.
3) Place in the computer and Xbox.
2 ethernet ports on computer (1 if not connecting to internet through an ethernet cord.)
1 cross-over cable (not a normal ethernet cable)
To do this you simply put the two ends of the crossover cable into the two devices.
Step 3: Download Exlpoit, and Get Onto Xbox
Once the save files are on your xbox, you can move onto the next step! yay!
Step 4: Load Up Splinter Cell
For splinter cell, simply press A 3 times once in the menu if you have no other saves.
Load up the Linux save, then click check points, and the magical screen will come up, and you can move onto the next step!
Step 5: Back Up Eeprom
We first need to backup the eeprom incase anything bad happens during installation, or you want to unmod it for whatever reason.
1) select "1st backup eeprom"
2) select "Backup eeprom" )This may not be present for you, I already had a copy since i just unmodded it for the purpose of this instructable.)
3) a popup will appear, read it, i have included a screen shot of it.
4) another window will popup telling you where the backup eeprom is located. it should be located in e:\backups\eeprom\backup\ Write down your location so you do not forget where it was placed.
5) it will then say loading RemoteX, this program is Evolution X, and will allow you to backup your eeprom.
6) Select backup eeprom, and it should say "Backing up :)"
7) Your done! Select "return to main menu"
8) move onto next step
Do not be alarmed by the red ring of light, that is normal.
Step 6: Install Softmod!
1) select "Install Ndure softmod"
2) You will see 3 options. "Help! .06 or .67?" "nkpatcher.06" and nkpatcher.67" This part is slightly confusing but only important if you are planning on installing a larger harddrive than the original one included with the xbox. However, i will explain which option does what.
A stock XBox has an 8 gigabyte harddrive.
1-8 gigs located through random partitions, already decided. 8-? gigs will be on F
1-8 gigs located through random partitions, already decided. 8-137 gigs located on F, and the rest on a new partition, G.
If you are planning on installing a harddrive larger than 250 gigs, it's recomended you choose .67. However, harddrive swapping will not be covered in this instructable. If you're not going to mess with the harddrive, like most, it doesn't matter which patcher you choose. I just chose .06.
If you don't know what a partition is, look it up on wikipedia.
3) Your choice of 2 dashboards, Evolution X, or Unleash X. I chose Evolution, and that is what I will be using to show you how to go on. Though it shouldnt matter which you choose.
4)Your Harddrive should then be scanned for the proper files. Select ok, then another window will popup. Read it, and if you see an error screen (included below) then you know you didn't back up the eeprom, or don't have a high enough xbox dashboard. All this means is that you need to go get a copy of halo 2, or any new game, and your dashboard will be updated with the version included on that disc, and halo 2 has a high enough dash included to proceed.
5) The mods are now being installed. I will start to beep ALOT, do not worry about that, it is normal.
6) a screen will apear saying you can power your box off, and remove the game. We are about half-way done.
Proceed to the next step for further information!
Step 7: Finishing the Install
A few more screens will come up, read them, do as they say.
When it says to copy the eeprom file to you computer, DO IT! do not press A, do not select ok, upload it to your computer while that screen is up. Nothing bad will happen if you do it later, but you won't ever forget to do it this way. Also, Copy the contents of C and E to your computer. This will save you game saves, and regular Xbox dashboard.
You should then boot into the Evolution X dashboard. Yay!
Next we will install additional components.
To learn to FTP, you can find other tutorials and help elsewhere.
Step 8: Install Xbox Media Center
This will go through how to install XBMC once you have obtained it. This requires FTP know-how
1) It is a good idea to copy the folder E:\dashboard to somewhere on your computer. This contains the evolution X files needed to run evolution x incase we run into problems.
2) Delete those files after you have copied them. (Off the Xbox, not your computer.) Do not worry about the fact that Evolution X is running. The files are already in the cache and do not need the files on the harddrive. However, you should not go to any menus just incase.
3) This is where you copy the files used for XBMC to E:\dashboard Wait for this to finish, and you will be almost done!
4) Restart Xbox.
Step 9: Finishing Touchs
Install that into E:\dashboard\skins
Then go to system > appearance > look and feel > skin > MC360
So, you're done. Just go through the different options and choose the options you want. It is suggested that you set a static IP in network, so you don't have to find the IP each time you want to FTP, it just stays the same.
If you would like more tutorials, go to http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php for their xbox tutorials. They are very good, and can help get you more ways to use your xbox than just video and music.
Any questions should just be in the form of a comment.
Step 10: Connecting to Xbox Live
The easiest way to make sure you are xbox live safe is to change your led color in the settings of XBMC. And when it's green, you are safe to go on live, anything else and you need to restart you xbox with a game in it.