UPDATE: Additional photos and video finally uploaded! Please vote if you like this instructable!
I've decided to make a project for the Dead Computer Contest. This is my first post, but have been a long time lurker and project maker since the womb.
The total cost spent for this project was $4, which was for the ceramic bowl piece purchased from the local Smoker Friendly. The rest was the first salvaged parts I could come across in my house over the course of about 3 evenings.
I had a few goals with this:
1) Find a use for the file server that died a couple weeks ago
2) Combine multiple interests of mine
3) Not purchase any parts for said project, must be all claimed on the homestead. We're the type of people, and by we I mean fellow Instructables followers, who hold onto that cut off waste material, that random bracket, bits of wire, and the like...what better time to use these
I came up with the idea for "YaHookah".... hookah bars and shops have recently made their way into my area and are becoming quite popular. The idea is to make my own inside of this computer case, make it portable where I could take it to a buddy's house (or perhaps LAN party), and a little better looking than this old black box of mine.
Here's the old file server that finally kicked the bucket...it was missing the case sides, looked god awful, and needs to be replaced. I ripped the guts out and held onto her parts for another day.
Here's the first reclaimed material for the project...My grandfather gave us some acrylic 30+ years ago (not an exaggeration) from the steel mill he use to work at. Researching similar topics online seemed like no one had hope, claiming it'll crack when I try to work with it, I'll never get the paper off, etc...
It did take HOURS of scrubbing, the best thing I found to use was a porcelain brush...it was stiff enough to be helpful without scratching the acrylic, the paper came off relatively easy after soaking it in a tub of hot water for a couple hours, but still took forever to brush off.
The acrylic was 1/4" thick and used for the case sides I was previously missing. I cut them down on the table saw after taking a break of trying to get that paper off for the previous couple hours, then came back to it after drilling holes in each of the four corners for mounting to the case. There were pre-existing holes in the case that I would be able to mount the plexiglass sides to.