loading
I didn't want to shell out a few bucks to purchase a chimney to start a charcoal burn.  So I put together a chimney out of a few pieces I had on hand.  The whole project took about 20 minutes.  I made all of the holes in the can with a nail set and widened them to the appropriate diameter for the bolts.
&quot;original&quot; commercial ones had a &quot;:trigger&quot; to release the coals out the bottom--i have not seen one anywhere for years now-- i use the SIMPLE <br>version--can + handle or slip joint /channel lock pliers+ cardboard or other paper for a bottom--VIOLA no muss no sweat just light -wait -remove-spread coals out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wouldn't a paper bottom just burn out and let the coals fall? I do like your idea of a trigger. Maybe hinged mesh bottom that drops out when the trigger is pressed. Unwilling have to think on that one a bit. Thanks for the comment.
It looks nice!! I suggest, however, to rotate that handle and make it vertical, just as the commercial models... It does have a purpose, as it resists quite more weight.
Clever use of simple materials! From my personal experience with a commercial unit, you may want a longer handle and you may want to add an insulating material (like wood) to the handle. They do get hot!
Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking maybe a sugru or oogoo wrap on the handle. I'll give it a try and post later.

About This Instructable

9,813views

17favorites

License:

Bio: Amateur Tinkerer, Amateur Radio Operator (KF7BBI)
More by Mister DO:Pallet Bed Doctor Who Christmas Tree Yet Another DIY Charcoal Chimney 
Add instructable to: