How to build a Basic Arduino-Compatible Collision-Avoiding Robot
Note: See the available Arduino Software Test Sketches and Collision-Avoidance Software HERE (Click)
Note: Later you will need to have the Arduino "IDE" software development system installed on your computer and working.
We have a detailed page on doing this if you have not used Arduino before. See it here:
We tried to design a simple robot which would be low cost ($40-50)
Here are the parts you will need. These are widely available on Ebay, Sparkfun, Adafruit etc. Links to YourDuino.com are included and show details and how-to on individual parts.
- YourDuino Robo1 (Arduino compatible Microcomputer: Robot Brain) or equivalent
- Robot chassis with 2 DC motors and wheels
- Battery pack for 6 AA batteries (Suggest rechargable)
- Motor Driver Board (Controls motors speed and direction)
- Ultrasonic distance sensor (Looks for things in the way)
- ServoMotor (Points the Distance Sensor in different directions)
- 40-wire Rainbow cable (Connect the parts)
- Pin strips (Connect the parts)
- USB Cable (For uploading software to the YourDuino Robo1)