Introduction: Yummy Cornbread
Cornbread is perfect alongside hearty soups like chili, slathered with butter, or drizzled with honey. Using spelt flour and buttermilk as well as cornmeal makes it extra delicious.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup cornmeal (stoneground if you have access to it)
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, you can substitute 1 1/2 cups milk (whole or 2% milk fat) combined with 1 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar)
- 1 large egg
- Oil or butter to grease pan(s)
- 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet (if you'd rather, you can use another cast iron or other heavy bottomed pan. Corn-shaped pans like shown here are awesome, but make sure to grease them very well)
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
Step 2: Stir It Up and Eat It Up
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine butter and honey
- Dump in cornmeal, spelt, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Add buttermilk and egg
- Stir to combine all ingredients
- Grease pan(s) well and pour in batter
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until cornbread has pulled away from the edge of the pan and is golden brown on top
- If you'd like, you can brush the top with melted butter and/or honey
- Allow to cool slightly and slice into wedges
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.