This ball is made from zip ties (zap straps) and has a nice mathematical colouring.
You will need:
- 60 small zip ties (zap straps, plastic cable ties). Large zip ties are more difficult to hack for this project.
- A push pin
- Needle nose pliers
- (optional) Tester's model paint
Many different shapes can be built with this method.
Step 1: Make a zip tie triangles
Step 2: Connect triangles
First, you need to decide which way your triangles go; clockwise or counterclockwise. Whichever it is, take note of which side of the triangle will be inside the Zip Tie Ball. This is important because it will give the ball a more uniform curvature.
- Use a push pin to widen a head's hole, above the existing zip tie inserted through it, on the edge near the inside of the ball.
- Hold the head and zip tie firmly in place while you remove the push pin.
- Insert a zip tie tail of another triangle into the head, keeping the same orientation and direction as the original zip tie. Use the push pin to coax it through if you need to.
- When you can get hold of it, pull it through with needle nose pliers until just before the zipper part enters the head.