I waded through about 1000 photographs to try and give as much detail as I could.
I am sure this is way too long, as well as long-winded. There were components of Zoltar I was obsessed with and spent WAY too much time on getting the details JUST RIGHT.
Since this was my first time doing something this complex, I undoubtedly wasted alot of money on buying the wrong things, dealing with breakage, buying more, breaking more and then buying still more!
My total cost for this project was $5000, I figure about $1500 was 'waste' and FAIL WHALE
Since Zoltar would be mounted on my segway i2, it adding several factors to the equation
like balance, and wind resistance, pitch and yaw and driver (rider) safety.
I have logged over 10,000 miles on my segway, and even with all that experience using it
it was still a cautious ride with Zoltar fully assembled,
so if you are planning on doing this one and you die, don't blame me!
Here is a Video of Zoltar in Action:
Step 1: The Base
and had holes drilled where the platform already was tapped and I would mount it there.
I didn't want to dedicate the segway JUST to zoltar, so I designed it all to be able to be disassembled easily. Note also the Side Bars welded that would hold the struts.
Step 2: The Struts / Beams
level of disassembly I would need as I went along. I built this in my house and was no way to move a box 30" x 30" and 7' tall fully assembled!
Step 3: The Cap and Start of the Measuring
[Note: the first cross beam was the place where the table was to be]
Step 4: First Fit
Step 5: The Roof
so I used urethane paneling, and have a neighbor mitre / fit the thing together for me
Step 6: Inside Panels
Step 7: Back Lights
Truthfully I was really winging all the booth building and construction,
Since Zoltar is self contained, all lights had to be 12v (or lower). The early tests were all with batteries / power packs, until I wired a central power source.
Step 8: Front Panel
I wanted to be able to give out "fortunes" and developed a chute drop for the card
but it jammed more than it worked, and I ended up purchasing a electronic card dispenser.
Step 9: The Start of the Electronics
I used sheet tin on the side panels to act as a support as well as provide a mounting area for the side bars and all the electronics. It also helped to support the table.
Step 10: It Gets Ugly - the Guts
At this point, I had wired in 8 UV Cold cathoid lights into the front side bars, UV LED arrays on top,
an LED Spot light on the top bar, power for the "crystal ball" and also had started wiring in the sound system, Voice changer module, and more!
Step 11: Starry, Starry Night
Step 12: Jimmy Hendrix Experience
I just printed out the Zoltar cut it to shape and dipped it in UV reactive spray.
Step 13: Speaker Hell
....... You still here reading? Ok, I warned you!
I wanted Zoltar to have a big sound, and be heard in a crowd. But I also had the problem of where to place the speakers (they're heavy) and how to hide them.
This was one of the more daunting puzzles to solve, and the answer came while I was in Florida where the hotel I was staying at used carpet as baseboard. I thought ... carpet, remove the backing and have sound transparent but still have a solid color! -- and viola!
BUT no matter what I did, it still wasn't loud enough, and I still had space limitations. And brilliant (mad) idea #2 was born; I embedded Mid range speakers into PA (high range) cones added 1000w of amplifiers, and viola (squared!)!
Step 14: Almost Done (whew!)
Finished all the moldings and assorted pieces.
Step 15: Pimp My Zoltar
Here I am being "pimped" to be Zoltar!
Step 16: Putting It All Together....
Step 17: Stuff
I can make about 7 more instructables with the details (and I will)
Here are some random photos that I thought I should include.
Step 18: OMG!! I'm a Comic!!!!!
You know you have MADE IT, when you make it into a tech web blog!!