BONUS: if you scare away all the trick-or-treaters, guess who gets all that sweet, sweet candy...
Step 1: Step One: Stuff You Will Need
Supplies you will need for fabrication:
1. (2) 8'x4'x1/2" Sheets of plywood
2. (2) Cans of exterior grade black spray paint
3. (1) Permanent black magic marker (or pencil, or crayon, or chalk)
4. Tape Measure
5. Zombie picture from the internet, or natural artistic ability
6. Sandpaper or a sanding sponge
Supplies you will need for display:
1. Several 1-1/4" screws (2 per stake)
2. 12" wooden tent stakes, or wood stakes cut from scrap, you will need 2 per zombie (it's Halloween, so be sure not to use any from your vampire defence kit)
3. (1) 500 watt halogen shop light that is suitable for wet climbate use (in case it rains/snows). I got one at the Depot for $6.
4. Extension cord
Tools you will need:
1. Circular saw
3. Tape measure
4. Something to drive screws (I used an impact driver because I am lazy, but you can use a drill)
5. Small sledge hammer
Step 2: Step Two: Cutting the Wood
2. Using your inspiration picture from the internet or natural artisitc ability, quickly sketch your zombie on the wood you just cut with your marker (the black magic marker was easy to see on the wood). Don't fret if it doesn't look beautiful (or horryfying) right away; it's a zombie, not Michaelangelo's Pieta. Unless it is, but then you probably don't understand Halloween.
3. Use your jigsaw to cut out the shape you drew. Save the larger pieces of excess for other projects. I used some of the larger pieces to make tombstones and a hand coming out of the ground.
4. Sand the edges a bit after to cut out your shapes to avoid splinters. The effect of a Zombiewood splinter could inadvertantly bring about the Zombie Apocalypse.
Step 3: Step Three: Paint 'em
Step 4: Step Four: Preparing to Mount
2. Using a small sledge, pound the stakes into the ground. I started with a dead blow mallet, and after my first stake was in my arm was smoked. The sledge made the stakes cut through the ground in fewer hits. You may want to use a chair to prop the zombies up while you pound, or have someone hold them. If you can't hit the stakes easily, set another piece of wood against the top of the stakes and strike it.
Step 5: Final Step: Display
2. Scare the neighborhood.