This project brought together two of my favorite things: Zombies and not spending a lot of money. Overall cost of this project was less than 50$ (provided you already have the tools), and only took a few hours to complete. If you want the best looking yard this Halloween, give this a shot, it is limited only by your creativity (as in, you don't HAVE to do zombies, but seriously, why wouldn't you want to?).
BONUS: if you scare away all the trick-or-treaters, guess who gets all that sweet, sweet candy...
Step 1: Step One: Stuff You Will Need
Like I said, this project is relatively cheap and you can get everything at your local big box hardware store. I made 2 zombies for my yard so the equipment list reflects that; if you want more or less than 2, amend as needed.
Supplies you will need for fabrication:
1. (2) 8'x4'x1/2" Sheets of plywood
2. (2) Cans of exterior grade black spray paint
3. (1) Permanent black magic marker (or pencil, or crayon, or chalk)
4. Tape Measure
5. Zombie picture from the internet, or natural artistic ability
6. Sandpaper or a sanding sponge
Supplies you will need for display:
1. Several 1-1/4" screws (2 per stake)
2. 12" wooden tent stakes, or wood stakes cut from scrap, you will need 2 per zombie (it's Halloween, so be sure not to use any from your vampire defence kit)
3. (1) 500 watt halogen shop light that is suitable for wet climbate use (in case it rains/snows). I got one at the Depot for $6.
4. Extension cord
Tools you will need:
1. Circular saw
3. Tape measure
4. Something to drive screws (I used an impact driver because I am lazy, but you can use a drill)
5. Small sledge hammer