Introduction: Zucchini and Feta Cornbread Hearts
Now this is my idea of zucchini bread! I love, love, love how the zucchini gives this savory cornbread some color. It's a great snack or a side to a great meal like chili.
Step 1: Ingredients
Made with love:
- 3-4 small grey zucchinis
- 1 cube of feta cheese, store bought size
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of yogurt of your choice
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1 cup fine corn meal
- 1 cup flower
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- cupcake pan or regular pan
Step 2: Preparing the Zucchini
Wash the zucchini and with the coarse shredder shed the zucchini with the skin on. Put the shredded zucchini in a bowl and mix with 1 tea spoon of salt. Set aside fort he zucchini to release water.
Step 3: Prepare the Dough
In a mixing bowl:
- whisk the eggs, oil and yogurt until you get an even mixture
- add the corn meal, flow and baking powder and mix well
Step 4: Add the Feta and Zucchini
- Crumble the feta into the bowl
- Grab a fistful of zucchini and squeeze it with your hands like you would make a ball. Make sure that the majority of the liquid releases. Continue doing this until all the zucchini is strained
- Add to the zucchini to feta and the dough mixture. With a wooden spoon, mix everything together well
Step 5: Baking
Take a cupcake pan or a regular rectangular pan. I am using heart shaped cake pan for this, similar to a cupcake pan. Grease the pan with oil lightly. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
If you are using cupcake pan, it will make about 24 cupcakes. If you are using a rectangular pan for the whole batter, baking time may take longer depending on shape of pan.
The cornbread is done when the hearts are a light golden color. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then take the hearts and serve them. They make a great snack or side dish. Enjoy!