Introduction: Alegria - Healthy Mexican Amaranth and Honey Bars
are you looking for a tasty yet healthy snack? well look no further.
i first tasted these some years back while i was in mexico and really loved them, but i kind of forgot them again. so when i bought some popped amaranth for my breakfast cereal some days ago, i remebered them again and off to the kitchen i went!
these bars are super tasty, easy to make and are made of whole grain amaranth, dried fruits, nuts and honey - making them a healthier alternative to most store bought cereal bars that also contain sugar.
have fun with this recipe, it's totally worth a try!
Step 1: Ingredients
you will need:
- about two cups of popped amaranth; if you can only get your hands on unpopped amaranth or in case you rather PIY (pop it yourself), try this very helpfull instructable.
- dried fruit of your choice, i used dehydrated strawberries and dried apples that my mom made from fruit from her garden, but really any dried fruit you like is fine
- some almonds or pepita seeds or other nut
- 3 tablespoons of honey, when buying honey it's always best to buy local, honey is one of the few products that can be really produced almost anywhere, so do something good for you and the planet and get some honey that has been made close to your home
- half a teaspoon of cinnamon
Step 2: Preparations
chop the almonds and toast them in a pan whithout oil until golden brown.
cut the dried fruit into little pieces if necessary.
in a bowl, thoroughly mix almonds and dried fruit with the popped amaranth.
Step 3: Make the Alegria
put a pan on low heat and add the honey and the cinnamon, heat carefully until the honey is liquefied, but don't let it really boil.
pour the liquid honey over the amaranth mixture and mix well.
put a sheet of baking paper on a flat tray and spread the amaranth and honey mixture evenly onto it. press the mixture a bit, so that the honey can glue the amaranth grains together better.
the alegrias are almost done now, you have to let the mixture sit in a cool and dry place for some hours now.
Step 4: Enjoy!
after some hours, when the alegria has hardened, cut it into bars or squares, whatever you like!
and if you like your alegria, try differnet versions, you could add cocoa powder or ground chili to the honey, use different kind of nuts or seed and other dried fruits.