By far the most frustrating part of the build. I have an AC geared motor that would have worked perfectly but I did not want to have to plug the present into the wall. Finding a dc motor with a gear system that had enough torque proved to be time consuming and frustrating. I ended up using an old toy my wife had picked up called capsela. I used to play with it as a kid and it seems they just decided a few months ago to stop making it. It came with a motor, battery holder (1 aa was too small), gear system and wheels to drive. It seemed almost perfect. I used a rubber band and some more foam board to build a mount and spring to tension it against the tape. On the other side of the tape was an old wheel from a broken rc car. I ended up using 2 d cells to make it run.