- all you need is an innertube and a sewing machine. It's soft, malleable, flexible, durable and aesthetically it's a nice looking design. the rubber is relatively easy to sew and the finished product will fit nicely in the back pocket of anyone who drives a prius or wants to seem just as green.
Step 1: Materials
- innertube - a 26 x 1.9/195 tube is the perfect height without having to trim.
- sewing machine - you'll need one with adjustable tensioning
- black thread
- a license or card
- a ruler
Step 2: The backbone
- choose a portion of the innertube that has writing or doesn't depending on the aesthetic you want. hipsters will want to stay away from brands and might stick to writing that includes the dimensions of the tube. professionals may want to avoid any kind of writing all together for a sleeker, leathery look.
- cut the section of the tube that you want to use.
- make a cut where you want to start, then measure 9 inches down the tube and cut again
- do this twice
- make another cut down the seam so the innertube is no longer a tube. ( i noticed i got a straighter edge if i cut at a side seam verses the top or bottom seam.
- when you're done you'll have two opened pieces of inner tube ( see picture below) that measure 9 inches long by 3.75 inches high.
Step 3: Cut the pockets
- cut 6 more pieces of innertube to hold your cards similar to the way you cut the back bone, but use the following dimensions instead.
- each piece should be 3 3/4 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches high.
- a license or credit card is 3 3/8 inches wide but you want to leave some room on either side to sew the pocket down to the backbone.