This method, provided you can run the two programs necessary, will enable you to bypass ANY web filter, without the use of any proxy sites that can be blocked. Many people tell you to go to sites like boredatshool.net etc, but these sites can be blocked, which will put you back at square 1.
To prove that this works, these screen images were taken while I was drafting this Instructable to prove that I was using this method from school, where www.instructables.com is a blocked site.
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for you if you get caught. do this at your own risk.
Step 1: You Will Need:
the rest of the things you need can be gotten for free.
USB flash drive (if necessary)
mozilla firefox, portable edition
PuTTY, portable edition
shell account with rootshell.be (here it is free)
Step 2: Download & Sign Up
You'll need to go to www.portableapps.com to download Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition. When you get there, search for Mozilla Firefox. Click the link that says Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition and download the latest version to your flash drive or the place you are allowed to store stuff on your computer (i.e. My Documents).
Note: this is the installer package, not the program.
after that, google 'portaputty'. download it from the Socialist Sushi page- it should be the first link.
when you get there, click 'You can get the binaries here.' to download the zip file.
NOTE: if you are running windows xp or later, it has a zip file reader built in. If you are running windows 2000 or earlier, you will need to get WinRAR- se bottom of page if necessary.
Extract 'putty.exe' to wherever you want. this is the program you will need to run.
Next, go to www.rootshell.be and register for an account. it is free, but you will need to privide a reason for requesting an account, your country, DOB, and an email address. (sign up for a hotmail account or Yahoo mail, or Gmail, etc if you need an email account). It will take a day or two for them to get back to you, but it's worth the wait.
now the real fun begins
NOTE: Windows 2000 Users: Google WinRAR and download it to your home PC. extract putty.exe using WinRAR. any questions let me know.
Step 3: Install
Copy and paste the putty.exe file into the firefoxportable folder that you put Firefox into.
Wait until you get your email from rootshell.be before doint the next step. make sure you write down your login information (username/password) or remember it. it will be vital in the next step.
Step 4: Setup
The first thing you need to do is set up Putty. Launch Putty.exe and prepare to follow these steps.
1. In the Host name box, type in (Your Username)@honey.rootshell.be (my username is anubis). leave the port box at 22 alone, and leave the radio button selecting SSH alone.
2. On the left, look for the category 'SSH', then click the subcategory 'Tunnels'. Type in 6500 into the source port box and click the 'Dynamic' radio button, then click 'add'. you should see D6500 just like my picture.
3. now on the left click the 'session' area all the way at the top. Type in something you want to remember this by into the small box under 'saved sessions', then click 'save'. (mine is called RootShell)
4 from now on double click the name you entered (for me it is RootShell) to open the black window you saw on the first page. it will ask you for your password. type in the password you got in the email from rootshell.be.
Now you need to set up Firefox.
1. open Firefox and wait for the welcome screen to load if this is the first time you have opened it. then click the 'tools' menu and click 'options'. at the top, click 'advanced', then click the 'network' tab . Under Connections, click settings.
2. there are three radio buttons at the top. click the one that says 'manual proxy configuration'. under the SOCKS host, type in 'localhost' and in the port box, 6500.
Step 5: Have Fun!!!
Other than that, this should work. If you are not permitted to use firefox or putty, it might not work. contact me if you have any issues and i'll look into your problem.
Note: The Black PuTTY window is NOT supposed to show the characters you enter when you put in a password of ANY kind. Just put in the password and press enter regardless of whether you see anything and it WILL work. The same applies to the next sentence. If you want to change your password for PuTTY, simply enter the command 'passwd' into the black window and press enter. it will ask you for your old password, then the new password and confirmation for the new password (entering the new password again).
And remember... I did this from my school, where www.instructables.com is a blocked site!!!