loading
how to make a tazer out of a camera.

Step 1: Take Apart the Camera

Split the camera case in half. BE CAREFUL THE CAPACITOR WILL BE CHARGED! Take out the battery with out touching the circuitry then, Take a knife and be careful to not be touching the blade or any metal conncted to the blade. Then stick the knife in between the two metal prongs coming out of the capacitor. You should see a spark fly off of the knife from one side to the other. Shift the knife around a little bit more until there are no sparks left. Now the capacitor will be completely empty and safe to work with.

Step 2: Cutting

This step is very simple. Cut the wires connecting to the capacitor about halfway between them and the circuitry. Now, place the battery in the place that it was when you took the circuitry out of the camera. Put together the capacitor wires with the same wires they were connected to. BE CAREFUL becasue the capacitor will be charged in about 20 seconds. You will hear a slight high pitched tone, getting higher, like a flash on a regular disposable camera. Now you can either keep the capacitor held with the wires and bend one of the copper strips of metal to mee the others (as seen in the picture) to make the flash go off, or you can take off the capacitor and poke the two pieces of metal on to someone's skin and shock the hell out out of them (my mom wouldent let me say shit lol).
Apparently, a safer way to discharge the capacitor is to hold a resistor between a small pair of pliers and discharge it with that. It's a good way to go if you're working with one of those disposable cameras that have the auto flash (the kind that can't be turned off), since you'll get busted eardrums and possible electrocution if you discharge it normally.
With the auto-flash thing, surely you could just remove the battery, then discharge it?<br /> <br /> Save some hassle and running the battery down if you wanna use it again.<br />
5 stars for being the first Instructable about camera Tasers. I made one, shocked myself twice, once at low power, once high. It's extremely difficult to type with my ring finger now... (:
I shocked myself and it burned my finger
i am going to make one to protect my backpack from people who shouldn't be in it... i am going to run 2 wires along the handle and straps... so if they try to pick it up... they get zapped... but i will have a hidden switch on it so i can let the caps not get discharged in to myself... i thought about having one running along the zipper... but the zippers are metal and then that will somehow discharge the capisitor... and then the teacher wont be very happy... lol...
im going to try and apply this device to a harry potter wandso when you poke someone with it, it shocks them.
harry potter has a cattle prod?
that wouldnt be that hard... and put in a switch so you dont get shocked...
or i will rig up the flash so when someone touches a certian part it lights up... take that you stupid class mates...
OW! I zapped myself! It's not fun! xD
Can't you just put a capacitor on a 9v battery and shock somone????? I bet you that you could!
Nope... you need a transformer to transform the voltage high enough, otherwise, no matter how long you charge for, the most you'll get out of it is enough power to light up an LED.
so what youre saying is that you cant just touch the ends of the capacitator to a 9v until its charged, you have to actually have it connected to the camera circutry? i guess im not getting it.
yep, just get a camera circuit (that works), clip the leads of the capacitor, so it is seperate, then hold it on the bare wires where it was attached. do NOT touch any of the metal on the top or bottom, or you WILL zap yourself and it WILL hurt; and it'll probably leave a burn mark to boot. if you do it right, when you hold the charge button on the camera circuit, with the capacitor connected, you should get a whining noise, very high pitched. when you see the LED on the circuit come on, your cap is ready. (approx 10 - 15 sec with a fresh AA) Happy tasing!
thanks. thats pretty cool i guess. i just need to get a FREKING DISPOSABLE CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then it might work
Hey dude ur so mean
live with it, lav.
Does it matter how much amperage I out into the cap?
uh...just as a comment here....you guys do know that the "danger" in electricity is the amperage not the voltage right? the human body can sustain extremely high voltage (with the proper amperage...this can be thousands of volts)...but you can't withstand higher amperage......so wether the thing is 300 volts or 600 volts...if the amperage isn't high enough...it's still not going to melt your flesh...or even really hurt that bad (depending on your threshold for pain)
isn't that why people survive being struck by lightning??
Unless 0.1A passes through you heart's sinoatrial node, your pretty much safe from fibrillation and you will live. You torso has quite a high resistance, and (wet) skin shows much less resistance, so sometimes lightning bolts can simply flow to the ground through your skin leaving your heart safe. But well... it all depends.. on your luck.
I'm not a doctor, so can you speak normal, not in doctor?
Imm not a doctor either.. Simply: pass too much current through your heart's pacemaker [timer] and you are toast. But your bodies resistance networking, if you will, prevents this from happening easily.
or u would walk around in a wire mesh suit and have all the electricity flow around u inside of through u
speaking of which criss angel did that and he was a horrible actor lol he was like crawling on the ground the whole time when the electricity didnt even touch him the most it would do is just get a little hot
Yes that is why people survive lightening strikes because the negative electrons dont have much charge. its just static elitricity like the pezo ighter tazer AGENT HARMSY>>>
Lav, spelling, please! lightening? elitricity? pezo? ighter? just shameful dude!
could you make some thing to be able to ake the compacitor off and still shock someone?
i am going to shock some stupid fools at school
I get around 400 volts out of my capacitors, but then again I hook up two AA batteries in series. This circuit uses a transformer, so increased input voltage = proportionally increased output voltage. If you hooked, ooooohhh, lets say, four of the capacitors in series (adding the voltage, not the current) and then used five AA batteries to charge it (again, series, adding the voltage) then you'd get a nice little zap. Of course, my multimeter only goes up as far as 600 volts so I haven't been able to get a reading for this yet :P<br/>
i agree, the best way to empty a capacitor is to touch two wires conneced to a capacitor togeather. short circuting is a bad idea
Mad Inventor, what you said "touch two wires connected to a capacitor together," is the definition of a short circuit. Just so you know. Putting a resistor in between would stop it from being a short circuit but could also take longer to discharge.
is it possible to include a potentiometer to the tazer to be able to vary the strength of the discharge?
This is quite possible one of the worst and most dangerous things I have ever heard of. This is a very bad idea. I advise you to run to the nearest butcher shop and have the nice man behind the counter cleave your hands off at the elbow so you never make anything this dangerous and stupid again. Call your lawyer. He'll agree with me.
You wish you were a scientist, don't you. You should ask that very same butcher to put you out of you misery. I bet you're a god damn tree hugger, you god damn hippie. The thing inside there is powered by a AA batterie, which is only 1.5 volts. Have you ever touched a 9v against your tongue? I didn't think so, this thing doesn't hurt, it hurts about as much as one of those shock gum things you buy at a joke shop. Go protest about it as the smell of weed and unwashed clothes fills the nostrils of anyone who stands near you.
Yes although 1.5 volts goes in, around 300 volts comes out and into the capacitor.
r u freaking kidding me? i just tried this out on myself and i shocked the freaking **** outa myself. but its wicked cool man<br/>
well were you caught off guard... its hurts better that way...
you guys all have no idea. this can work very well, the capacitor dishcarges around 350 volts. only do this if you are careful and safe enough to not shock yourself while making it. mr above dude, this might hurt like shit but its not really dangerous. just fucking painful. you're not, like, gonna die from it.
Try doing this to someone with a heart condition then and shorting the capacitor across the heart. Don't think that would be a very good idea at all as is is very easy to kill someone like that. :(
Hey, he's just looking out for other people's safety. <br/>Nonetheless, he's not going to dissuade me from building myself one of these and using it on those dumbass neighbor kids who keep wrecking my car =).<br/>By the way, while the battery may only be 1.5 volts, doesn't the capacitor hold considerably more charge? I mean, I've discharged one while the flash was on, and it weren't no joy buzzer spark. It was a HUGE spark.<br/>
sooo where do you live?
Stop ruining the fun
"(my mom wouldent let me say shit lol)" XDhahahaha...ur getting a +1 for that
whoever made this ..................has lost thier mind you are my idol :)
i connected 5 9vs to mine. MEGA shock i call it the shellshock sets cardboard alight ouch.
i got a reading of 298.3 volts off of a camira like one in the picture
To those who whine about the one AA 1,5V battery: Go and buy a 2 or 4 AA battery case and solder its wires to where the orginal battery was. It should do the trick or then it will fry the components...
i've heard folks attach them to their genitals for fun
... what... the... fuck

About This Instructable

20,665views

33favorites

License:

More by thezizz:camra tazer 
Add instructable to: