Introduction: Candied Peel and Aniseed Biscotti
This recipe for biscotti makes a lovely food gift for Christmas and the holiday season - if you don't eat them all first! These crunchy, twice baked Italian biscuits flavoured with aniseed and candied peel are really easy to make and don't take very long either. You can always swap the candied peel and aniseed I use in this recipe for chopped nuts, chocolate chips or dried fruit with no problem. These apparently keep really well in an airtight container for up to a month - however they have never lasted that long in my house :)
These biscotti are great served after dinner and dunked in coffee or tea but also in a sweet dessert wine if you are that way inclined. I hope you enjoy and try out this recipe. Next time I am going to make them with chopped almonds and lemon zest I think.......
preparation time: 10-15 minutes
cooking time: 25-30 minutes
makes about 35-40 biscotti
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g chopped candied peel (or equal amounts of dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips etc - feel free to add your own favourite flavourings)
2 tbs aniseed
1 tsp vanilla extract
Step 1: Preheat Oven and Whisk the Eggs
- preheat the oven to 150C
- add the eggs to a large bowl with the sugar and vanilla extract and whisk for a few minutes until doubled in size
Step 2: Make the Biscotti Dough
- sift in the flour and baking powder and stir in the candied peel and aniseed - mix until a dough is formed
Step 3: Shape the Biscotti Dough
- tip out the dough onto a floured surface and shape into flattened 'sausage' shapes - about 5cm wide and 2cm high then place onto a greased baking sheet with a few inches space between each one.
Step 4: First Bake...
- bake for about 15 minutes until light brown/golden and firm to the touch
Step 5: Prepare for Second Baking
- remove from oven and slice into 1.5cm thick pieces then place back on the baking sheet
Step 6: The Second Baking!
- bake for a further 10-15 minutes until golden and crisped up.
Step 7: Cool, Serve or Give Away As a Lovely Gift :)
- allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container.
You can check out my other recipes at: http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.