These biscotti are great served after dinner and dunked in coffee or tea but also in a sweet dessert wine if you are that way inclined. I hope you enjoy and try out this recipe. Next time I am going to make them with chopped almonds and lemon zest I think.......
preparation time: 10-15 minutes
cooking time: 25-30 minutes
makes about 35-40 biscotti
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g chopped candied peel (or equal amounts of dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips etc - feel free to add your own favourite flavourings)
2 tbs aniseed
1 tsp vanilla extract
Step 1: Preheat Oven and Whisk the Eggs
- preheat the oven to 150C
- add the eggs to a large bowl with the sugar and vanilla extract and whisk for a few minutes until doubled in size
Step 2: Make the Biscotti Dough
- sift in the flour and baking powder and stir in the candied peel and aniseed - mix until a dough is formed
Step 3: Shape the Biscotti Dough
- tip out the dough onto a floured surface and shape into flattened 'sausage' shapes - about 5cm wide and 2cm high then place onto a greased baking sheet with a few inches space between each one.
Step 4: First Bake...
- bake for about 15 minutes until light brown/golden and firm to the touch
Step 5: Prepare for Second Baking
- remove from oven and slice into 1.5cm thick pieces then place back on the baking sheet
Step 6: The Second Baking!
- bake for a further 10-15 minutes until golden and crisped up.
Step 7: Cool, Serve or Give Away As a Lovely Gift :)
- allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container.
You can check out my other recipes at: http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/