I also subbed in a little whole wheat flour instead of using all AP flour - it gives the carrot muffins a slightly denser and chewier texture that I really like. :D
Plus, they're so quick to make! You can have muffins in less than an hour.
Step 1: Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt (depend on if you use salted butter or not)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or cinnamon, cardamom, etc)
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark!)
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 6 tablespoons melted butter or oil (I used coconut)
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely shredded (might only need one large carrot!)
P.S. If you like your muffins really sweet, you'll want to add a bit more sugar.
Step 2: Prep Work
Combine the brown sugar and eggs in a smaller bowl - beat with a fork until you can see no more pieces of egg. Then add in the milk and oil (or butter!) and mix again.
Grate your carrots - I used a box grater for this, but you can use a food processor too.
Step 3: Mixing the Batter Dividing It Out
Pour the wet into the dry and mix with a spatula just until there are no more dry spots - don't mix too vigorously at this point. Overmixing will make flat and kinda tough muffins.
Once no dry spots are left, pour in the shredded carrots and mix in gently.
Spray the tins or add paper liners. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins - fill them 3/4 full.
Step 4: Baking
Let them cool for a few minutes in the pan on a wire rack and then devour. They're really good with a little butter!