Introduction: Carrot, Orange and Caraway Cake
This is a combination of some of my favourite flavours and a cross between a traditional carrot cake and a seed cake. Carrot and caraway have long been used together in savoury dishes and are a perfect match so I thought why not use this combination in a cake...? The pungent aniseed flavour of the caraway and the sharp citrus of the orange zests works well with the carrot, and it is definitely a cake I shall be baking again. I hope you enjoy it.
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200 g soft brown sugar
3 oranges zested
200 g grated carrots
1 tbs caraway seeds
1 tsp nutmeg
1 pinch salt
- heat the oven to 150C and grease and line a 20cm deep cake tin or 2 1lb loaf tins.
- sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together and then stir in the sugar
- in a separate bowl beat the eggs with the oil and orange zest for a few minutes
- stir in the grated carrots, caraway seeds, nutmeg and salt and then fold everything into the flour mixture
- pour into the prepared tins and then bake for 40mins-1hour (depending on the size of tins you are using)
- it is ready when risen and a skewer comes out clean
- leave to cool in tins for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack
Enjoy with a nice cup of tea...........
If you like this recipe please let me know and check out my blog http://chipbuttiesandnoodlesoup.blogspot.co.uk/
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.