Introduction: Chanay Ke Daal Karela (split Chickpeas or Garbanzo Beans With Bitter Gourd)
Momordica charantia often called bitter melon, bitter gourd or bitter squash in English, has many other local names. Goya from the indigenous language of Okinawa and karavella from Sanskrit are also used by English-language speakers.
In Pakistan it is commonly known as karella. picture here
Chana dal is dried, split chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 onion
- 2-3 tomatoes puree (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 kg bitter gourd (or less) (washed, salt cured and washed again, frozen or not, cut in slices)
- 1 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt (fresh or frozen but NOT sweet)
1 1/2 cup split chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
1/2 tsp fennel ( for aroma)
Step 2: Things to Do Prior
- fry the gourd
- soak the pulses
- hand grind the fennel
Step 3: Process of Cooking
- add fried onions and with tomato puree (NOTE: mine is frozen) and cook.
- now add spices (turmeric, zeera, chilli power ) cook untill oil separate
- now add yogurt. cook til oil separates
- add the pulses and 3-4 cups of water
- now apply pressure cooker (until the pulses cook)
- now add fried gourd and pressure for 5 or more minutes.
- in the end add fennel and mix it well.
your split chickpeas with gourd is ready :)
enjoy.. favorite and comment =) and i would love to see your own cooking so send up an image and get a digital patch =)
first come first serve ( 3/3 digital patches)