It's also a pretty basic recipe - you don't need anything special except for baking chocolate. And you should probably get some of that and go make this chocolate cake RIGHT NOW. :D
Step 1: Ingredients:
- 3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 cups flour - cake or all purpose
- one stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
Pro tip - if you never know you feel like making cake well in advance, cutting the butter up into small chunks will help it soften much faster without running the risk of microwaving and melting it. :D
You'll also want two round cake pans, buttered and floured. Christy also lined them with parchment for me. :) I'm using these.
We'll be baking the cakes at 350 F for 30 minutes.