Though corn chowder is simple to make there are endless variations possible. This is a recipe that should be made more than once, each time modifying the ingredients to suit your tastes and make the dish your own, eventually you'll have your own signature chowder. Feel free to modify the recipe here and share your own variations in the comments below.
Also, this recipe can easily be made vegetarian by omitting the bacon and the dairy. Try substituting your own ingredients and see what you come up with!
Enough talk, let's make some corn chowder!
Step 1: Ingredients + equipment
| ingredients: || equipment: |
Step 2: Peel, chop, combine
- Heat large pot on stove and add bacon.
- Cook bacon until crispy (about 5 minutes).
- Remove bacon and crumble into a separate bowl.
- Keep bacon drippings for cooking onions.
Onion + potato:
- Peel onion and potatoes.
- dice onion and cook in bacon drippings for about a minute.
- Cut potatoes into uniform cubes and add to pot with onion.
- In pot with onion and potato add water, corn, spices and bacon bits.
- Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes
Step 3: Blend!
Carefully scoop a few ladles of the chowder into a blender, make sure you get a good mix of broth and chunky-bits.
Blend on high until smooth, then add blended chowder back into pot and mix.