Step 1: End Result
Step 2: Materials & Tools
| 1.50" PVC pipe|
|Scrap Plastic (ie lid to ice cream tub)||Saw|
|Concrete||Drill & Large Bit|
|Duct Tape||Wire Cutters|
|Wire – around 10-14 guage|
Step 3: Tape Pvc Fitting to Bottom of Bowl
Step 4: Cover Open End of Pvc Fitting
Step 5: Prepare Some Reinforcing Wire
Step 6: Place Wires Into Bowl and And Cement
Step 7: Remove Concrete From Molds
Step 8: Insert 36" Pvc Poles and Attach Linkage
Step 9: Extra Credit and Afterthoughts
I learned or was re-educated on a few things along the way… And I usually learn the most when I make mistakes.
Make sure you stir your concrete mix very well. Also pay attention to consistency so it can fill into all the mold areas properly. The wire probably inhibited some of the flow in my case. I had a couple voids show up when I popped the bases out of the molds. I used bondo to remedy this issue. I painted the bases white so they look consistent and beautiful.
Twisting the wire around the pvc pipe was a quick thought that worked out great. Just drill a hole in near an end and then twist the wire so it looks like a candy cane.
I’m not sure I want to have bare concrete bottoms, so I’m thinking of adding some round plywood plates under each. Use liquid nails to hold them. I fear the bottom outer edges will be too vulnerable and will end up looking bad. The plywood would probably prevent this.
I used acetone to clean off the printing on all the PVC pipes. If you are not familiar with acetone, it’s the most common chemical used as fingernail polish remover. Really good to know. Also random side note: Don’t leave your airbrush soaking in acetone overnight. I woke up the next day and the airbrush was clean as a whistle but 100% of the solder holding the airbrush together was GONE!